Tuesday, December 11, 2018

More Festive Stuff

 Little by little more Christmas decorations are coming out of tattered cardboard boxes.  
 Good smelling greens have entered the house!


 I got a new-to-me knitting book. I love reading about knitting.  I really do.
 When I DO bake, I shall fill some trays with cookie goodness. 
 Christmas mugs are now washed and ready for cocoa. 
 I dug through some basement baskets and found old Christmas stories.  
 Gretchen (Gladsome Lights) told me about The Wee Christmas Cabin of Carn-na-ween.  It's lovely. 

 Kim (My Field of Dreams) gave me this a few Christmases ago.  I ADORE it.  I'll love it forever. 
 I found this.  I wish I could read it to you.  Barbara Robinson is a fine writer.  The characters are fantastic.  

Bill and I registered at the rec center this morning.  My ID card is hilarious (the photo) because I smiled so big and my glasses make me look like a bug. 
There were many kind looking folks mulling about.  You can walk, use machines, swim, take classes.  It's a community-ish kind of place which we love because we are small-town kids at heart. It's close, too.  Our kids used it when they were growing up so it's familiar to me.
Somehow being there made me feel connected.  I love that.
I'm off to meet Jenny and the girls for lunch and then I shall make sponge.  My friend Lynn from England gave me great instructions for making sponge and I hope I can do her proud and succeed (brace yourself for a flop, Lynn!)
Bookclub is tomorrow.  My punch bowl came and the trifle bowl, too.  I shall take photos so you can partake.  Cranberry juice, Squirt (soda), and rainbow sherbet are the punchy ingredients.  The trifle will be sponge, LOTS of whipped cream, lemon custard, and raspberries.  YUMMY!
Thank you for your kind visit.  I hope you are enjoying all the "every day-ers"!
Every Day in December Bloggers:


14 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

you are doing well keeping up the daily blog posts! It's lovely to dig out those tatty card board boxes and find forgotten things (books, decorations), you have a lot going on this week, have fun.

Lynn said...

Your sponge will be fab 😊xxx

Lynn said...

PS If your sponge is not fab you can blame it on me 😂🤣😂

Gumbo Lily said...

All of those children's books are so dear to me, except I didn't know of the Wee Cabin book. I used to read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever to my kids most Christmases. Another dear, dear story. I hope your Christmas Book Club gathering is nice and that the trifle and punch will be just perfect!

Granny Marigold said...

Our local library only has a more recent re-telling of The Wee Christmas Cabin of Carn-na-ween but nevertheless I've requested it. I'm hoping it is not too different.
I want to come to your Book Club so I can sample your sponge and have some delicious punch.

Julia said...

I can't believe the price on the corner of one of the kid Christmas book. How time has changed. When the kids got older, all the old books were given to them for their kids. I no longer have kids books in my house.
How nice that you keep adding some decorations every day. I love greenery for Christmas decorations, only, mine are the fake kind. That reminds me, I need to get a small poinsettia for my table.
Good luck with your sponge.
Hugs, Julia

ellen b. said...

Those books look fabulous. And about that sponge...it sounds like something I'd love. I hope it works and you share the recipe. Blessings on your head dear girl!

Henny Penny said...

You are so sweet! I love those "Little Golden Books" and read most of them to my girls when they were small.

Beca said...

I think the Christmas books would be a fun read. I love all the cheery Christmas touches in your home.
xx Beca

ann said...

The Christmas spirit has arrived. I do it now more for the grandkids and it looks like yours have plenty of spirit to enjoy at your home. I do not the know the every day-ers. I'd not be good at keeping up with them since I can barely manage to post every week. You always make me smile, Karen.

Lisa Richards said...

I love that little Christmas book that Gretchen told you about. Fun to see all of your festive things! You're so good at creating a cheerful atmosphere. I wonder if I'll decorate at all this year, with the moving and all. But, at least, I can look at everyone else's homes! :)

Farm Girl said...

That was always my favorite punch recipe. I forgot to tell you. I have prayed for you today and your bookclub. Your books look wonderful. I hope your day is delightful and full of laughs.
I love seeing your decorations.

happyone said...

Always fun to see your pictures and read your fun post. : )

Jeanie said...

Jolly fun and so festive! And a good reminder to me to get out the Christmas mugs and children's books, too!

Followers