Thursday, December 27, 2018

A House Full of Love

    (a Christmas gift - so perfect for this tea drinking granny)
 Hello beautiful visitors!  I'm sorry I flaked out and didn't do a Christmas Day post, but I really was buzzed by all the cooking, baking, singing, opening of gifts.  Our oven caught on fire (the element) because my tasty but ugly sponge overflowed.  Our stove is very old and it was the element's time to go.  Anyway, the rib roast was done and I cooked the potatoes and beans in the microwave, so we still had a yummy feast on Christmas Day.  Now I am waiting for the new stove to arrive.  It's plain and black because I can't replace all the appliances at once, so I must continue with our black appliance pattern.  I really wanted a red stove but they are SUPER expensive, so a black plain one it is.  I'm grateful.
When we turned the attic fan on to suck out the oven smoke, the pilot light on the hot water heater went out so when there was no hot water, I thought, "YIKES!  We can't have overnight guests without hot water and an oven."  Bill relit the light and hot water is restored.  We are so spoiled by conveniences.
 These wonderbugs and their parents were here last night.  It was wonderful to have the house full of THEM!  LOVE!  We had air beds in the basement to round out the sleeping spots to four.  They didn't go right to sleep, but we got to visit with Brad and April long into the evening which was perfectly divine.
 This morning it was 23 degrees.  Brrrrrrrr.  Atticus packed his own bag (shorts - no pants) so he was a bit chilly!

 After they left, Bill ran an errand and I had a nice cuppa.  I am so grateful for grown up kids (their spouses, too) and grands.

Thank you so much for reading all the posts in December.  You are extremely nice.
I do love this time of year because it feels bright and hopeful.  I plan on viewing photos of my flower gardens from years gone by.  I love planning planting and anticipating the coming spring even though winter just began.  That's okay.  I shall buy hyacinths. 

15 comments:

Farm Girl said...

It sounds like a very nice visit. I love your photos. I hope you are enjoying your day.

Between Me and You said...

Yes, I think most of us were plum-tuckered by the time the Big Day arrived. I loved having my eldest boy and his wife come to visit on Xmas Eve because it made me feel like a Mum again. I only saw the Grands for a little while on Xmas morning because they were going to their other Grandma's. I'll have them all on New Years' Day now. I just hope I make it that far because my boss's daughter gets married on Saturday and the lead-up to her Big Day has been particularly punishing for me. Boy, do I feel old this week!!I'm consoling myself with mountains of chocolate!xxx

Lynn said...

Oh no...so sorry about your oven.

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh, that feeling when the essentials: oven, hot water, start to go down! I'm glad you got the hot water back going and the oven is on the way. Your lovies are so precious!

GretchenJoanna said...

That was an exciting Christmas! I'm happy for you that you're getting a NEW STOVE! What a treat.

Of course, your best treat was having your family around you, which you describe so well. A house full of love, yes.

XO

Julia said...

Despite the few glitches, you had a wonderful Christmas. Family love really makes a Christmas extra special.
Sometimes when we miss what we take for granted, we have more gratitude when it returns.
I love the picture of the grandkids sitting at the table.

Warm hugs on a cold Canadian morning, Julia

Jeanie said...

Well, apart from a few bumps, it sounds like Christmas was grand! It's the people and the traditions that matter and the bumps make for good stories and (later) laughs! Here's to a jolly new year!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I enjoyed the Advent postings! It kept me engaged. I am hoping to be able to keep up daily postings, or close to it, instead of going weeks between.

Granny Marigold said...

What a cute tea pot and tea cup necklace!
You get a new stove!! Yay for you. Will you get a self cleaning oven? I really like that feature although I try not to use it more than twice a year due to the power it takes to heat so high for hours it takes to do the job.
I'm fooded out and kind of peopled out too. I'm taking time to recoup before starting the putting away of Christmas ( hopefully not before Epiphany).

Debi said...

So glad that you had a nice Christmas holiday, despite a couple of mishaps.We once ran out of gas while the Thanksgiving turkey was in the oven (the gas company had hired a new driver and forgot our whole street!) and I had to finish it in the microwave. The season truly is, as I've seen posted lately, about who is around the tree and not what it is under it.

Lisa Richards said...

I sure can understand not doing a Christmas day post! Especially with all of your challenges! Glad to see you had lots of nice visiting. I'm kind of thinking of gardening. I want to try leeks, for some reason. I've never eaten them, but I imagine them to taste mellow in a soup? God bless you and yours. :)

ellen b. said...

Oh my, glad the meal worked out without your stove and a new one is on the way! Christmas with everyone gathered around is such a sweet blessing. Your necklace gift is sweet and appropriate! Fun! Have fun planning your plantings!

M.K. said...

Your sweet necklace is delightful and perfect. Yes, I'm already eagerly anticipating working in my greenhouse and starting little seeds. sigh. I love doing that. I'm already pestering Adam about compost :) Your sweet family looks very happy, and I know you are happy in them too.

Danette Bartelmay said...

Well My Dear, minus the appliance mishaps, it sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas!
Even though it won’t be Red (my favorite color too) you’ll love having a new stove.
So happy you had your family packed in tight all around you.
It makes for the best Christmas.
And now... happy garden dreaming 💕
Xoxo,
Danette

Kit said...

Happy New Year! Looks like a lot of fun was happening. 😊 May you have a wonderful 2019. Kit

Followers