Tuesday, April 14, 2009

shhhhhhhhh . . . there are gnomes about!


Without this playing with fantasy, no creative work has ever come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable. ~Carl Jung
This little gnome weathered winter peeking out of the boxed flower bed that used to hold an aged maple tree. I put him there to see if my neighbor would notice him as she pottered around in her garden. Lemon Balm is just beginning to poke out its head and he told me that he'd like a few pansies in his garden this year. He hates the roar of the lawn mower even though he appreciates the short grass when he hops out of the flower bed to snoop around the garden. He does this at night, after our lights are out and we have gone to sleep. When the tree was still alive, we'd wake up to bird song (a lot of it!) but now I'm sure that if I wake up early enough and listen hard enough, I'll hear him scramble back to his post. Of course I will plant pansies for him and my sweet, gardening neighbor will tenderly tuck in a few surprises for him as well.
Poke around today and find some new growth. Look in the "bit of earth" you call your own or peer into your very soul. I'm sure you'll find some healthy sprouts.

2 comments:

Samwise said...

I've liked all your work so far and I LOVE this piece. I knew you in college when you were an aspiring WSU actress and you were GOOD! Imagination, Creativity... Keep on!!!

Bradley W. Maston said...

That is so wonderful. I hope your gnome has a lovely spring and enjoys the sweet smell of the flowers and the grass that will be cut twice a day! (who doesn't love that smell?)

Followers