Sunday, April 15, 2012

Toadstool Bird House

 The Year of the Toadstool is coming along. (Honestly, I've never  named a year BEFORE, but this year I am enjoying my toadstool theme.)  I am seeing toadstools everywhere.  Well, I am seeing toadstools at the only place I shop on a regular basis: the grocery store.  They now have a toadstool bird perch (want!) and another little toadstool house with a door that opens.  The bird house I bought was only eleven dollars, so I splurged and now it is hanging in the kitchen.  It'll stay there because what self respecting bird wants to lay claim to a silly resin house?  I like looking at it, hanging up on my curtainless curtain rod.  It'll get me going, making red and white polka dot curtains.  The curtains I had in the kitchen hit everyone in the forehead, so they are moving to the living room.


 We had a welcome home dinner for Bill.  He's back from Cambodia.  I think this shrimp cabbage salad is delicious.  It's composed of cabbage, onion, celery, canned shrimp, and a dressing of a scoop of mayonnaise, a tablespoon of white vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar.  It's crisp and tasty.  It makes one feel like a good rabbit.
 I reached over the fence and picked one of my neighbor's lilacs.  She doesn't mind.  Isn't it pretty?  You should smell it!
Now, let me inform you of the blog event that is going around the world!  The pink edition of The Wind in the Willows (I bought it at that messy and wonderful used book store a few years ago) is traveling around the world.  The three characters that I drew and stuffed are traveling with the book.  They had a ball in Canada and the USA and then they had HUGE adventures with Mags in Ireland.  Now they are at Betty's in England.  She said the book is looking AMAZING, because everyone that receives the package writes and draws in the book.  They also stamp the "passport" in their own special way.  Everyone that has hosted the package so far, has blogged about it and you can find all the links on my blog.  They even went to Disneyland with Kim from For Heaven's Sake.  They've driven cars, they've holed up in beautiful doll houses, they've been held hostage for potted cheese . . . I could go on and on.  They'll go to Angela at Tracing Rainbows next and then they go to France. From there, they'll fly down to Australia (The Provincial Housewife who is expecting a baby soon!) and finally to my sweet friend Katie in New Zealand.  When they return to me, I will show you all the embellished pages of the book.  Who knew that Mags love for the Willows and my love for them, too, would bring about such a Grand Tour?
When they finally arrive in Denver, Mags and I will have to think of another Wind in the Willows event.
It's chilly today, but Kelli and Bryan are going to the Rockies game, so I am going over to make cookies with the girls.  
My students are testing for a few days, so I don't have as much planning to do before tomorrow.
So, have you seen any toadstools lately?
Thank you for buzzing by!  (HUG!)

20 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

HP and I thought we saw a toadstool the other day while walking in the pasture, but it was half of an old white ball. I think after the rain, we might start seeing some toadstools and mushrooms popping up.

I wonder what other toadstool things you will come up with this year? Fun!

Jody

magsmcc said...

Obviously you're going to have to palatiafy that toadstool house for Toad's homecoming- oh I sooo love seeing the box arrived all safe and sound! Phew- the responsibility is Betty's now! Bluebells await! Welcome home, Bill!

Attic Clutter said...

oh the cabbage salad sound delish (:) love your font too ..
''happy days'' my Pom POM(:) LOL ..

Farm Girl said...

It is always nice getting caught up with you. I love your toadstool bird house. I don't think I ever noticed them until you started writing about them.
You wanted to know about if I had seen any lately? Well I just have to tell you, next to my chicken pen is this place and every couple of days, one or two pop up. They really must be mushrooms as chickens won't eat toadstools.
They are just like the button mushrooms you get at the grocery store.
I pick them and my hens are all jumping and yelling if chickens could yell, " Me, me" So I break in in pieces and throw it to them.
They think they are yummy.
I of course, have been scared off by years of my Mom yelling that they are poison. So I go wash my hands like a good girl.
Have a wonderful day, baking cookies.
I think it is good to eat like a rabbit. :)

Anonymous said...

Buzz,Buzz,lol.Yay! for year of the Toadstool...Love it.
Aww, I LOVE your toadstool birdhouse,too.I would hang it in My kitchen, to keep it safe :)
What a wonderful idea with the Willows book,I'm looking forward to sharing all the adventures when it arrives back with you.
The shrimp and coleslaw salad looks DELICIOUS,right up my street .I'll be giving it a go in the summer.
Check out My new toadstool on My next post,in front of the summerhouse!
Have a lovely week ahead,love juliexoxoxo

ann said...

When I see toad stools, I do think of you--and we have never met. Crazy. I love your newest addition. It is chilly today. What happened to all that moisture that we were supposed to be getting? The Willows are certainly having a grand adventure. Can't wait to see them when they return. Do enjoy your testing days. I'll be listening to research presentations for 3 weeks. No more prep for me, just grading, grading, grading. Have a good week.

Happy@Home said...

Your toadstool birdhouse is so cute and is sure to bring smiles hanging in your kitchen. It also looks very nice with your blog background.
The salad looks and sounds delish and easy. I must give it a try.
The Wind in the Willows event sounds like loads of fun. How exciting it will be for you to see when they return home to you.

Debi said...

cute little toadstool... so jealous that you have lilacs already, mine are just starting to bud!

libbyquilter said...

no toadstools here yet as the temps aren't consistently warm enough . . . soon though.

i'm going to have to make some of that salad. simple and tasty is my kind of recipe~!!~

:-)
libbyQ

Susan B said...

I love the toadstool birdhouse, it's so cute! I have to admit that I haven't noticed any toadstools, but now I will be on the lookout! :) I've been bringing some of my lilacs in the house, and they smell so wonderful! My most favorite flower! That is so fun about The Wind in the Willows book! It will be fun to see the photos when you get it back again. I hope you had fun baking cookies!

Have a lovely week!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

The toadstools are just so much fun and cheerful.

Our oldest son leaves in a couple of weeks for Cambodia on a mission trip....they will work on getting girls out of trafficking and also build a playscape for the children

What a trip Wind and the Willows have had...now that is fun also

Lisa Richards said...

Your shrimp/cabbage salad looks cool, crisp and delicious!

I LOVE your toadstool birdhouse! When can I move in? :D

I look forward to seeing all the embellishements in the book and hearing about the next adventure you come up with!

It's almost midnight! I'd better be off to bed. I have the next two days off, so you may see more of me!

Shalom, my friend!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Oh my goodness I love your toadstool house, nothing like that on sale in the UK or I would snap it up. The Willows have been assessed and approved by Ambercat, Scrappydog meets them later today. Adventures will begin. Bettyx

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Pom Pom. Every time I see a toadstool themed gift in a shop I think of you! Also the ones at the garden center. I love your new one with the pretty blue door.

That is quite an amazing world tour the Wind in the Willows is making. I can't wait to see the final result whenever it returns to you.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

We haven't had much rain around here lately, so no toadstools, but I will keep my eye peeled. I think you should post a recipe for your salad; it looks marvelous!

xofrances

Leslie said...

Oh, how I wish I could whiff the lilacs. They are so delightfully dainty. The slaw looks yummy!

Gigi said...

Awww, cutest bird house ever! I wish I could have bird houses, but our cats wouldn't be hospitable hosts I'm afraid.
I've got to try the shrimp cabbage salad -- sounds so good!
And I'm so glad the Willows boys are having a grand time ;).

G

Nancy McCarroll said...

What a fun idea! I found you through Betty the Woodfairy in Surrey, UK, but I am right at your own back door in Grand Junction, CO. I look forward to your next jog with a booking, and maybe I can start it off being just four hours west of you.

PS: I am following you now! Love the toadstools!

Nancy McCarroll said...

hmm...wondering if that first long comment went through...

Kerri said...

I sometimes name the year too. Once I had the international year of being brave, just so I would remember to do brave things once in awhile! I can't believe how many places your book has gone! Can't wait to see it when it comes back x

Followers