Sunday, August 7, 2011

Looking At You

 Well, hello!  Do you need a bit of shade today?  You can sit under this tree.  Maybe you need some metaphorical shade from the intensity that is your life right now.  Do you think that a bit of solitude is often just the "shade" we need?  As I prepare for school,  I'm trying to plot out the whens and the hows of creative/solitude time at school.  Angela's post at Tracing Rainbows gave me an idea.  I might have a three-ring notebook with art/verse/pictures kept in the drawer of my teacher desk.  I could add a page everyday and build it through the year.  That way, I can use it next year, too.  Before I get to school, while I'm having my morning "quiet time" at home, I'll remember to print pictures for the school notebook.  Pictures always help the words flow.  It might be the perfect way to carve out some solitude before the eleven year old cherubs come into the building.  I'm thinking of ways to make my new classroom seem like a home.  I just have to do this or I can't get excited about spending so much time there.  I'll keep you posted.
 Here is another rose for you, Rosebud.  My roses are buried in sunflowers and cosmos.  I have to hunt for them.
 Here's an old picture of the love doves.  They are singing to you, "wooo wooo wooo"!
 I am not sure why I have not wanted to walk around my neighborhood this year.  In about a month, the apples will look as lovely as they did last year.   Maybe I should make use of daylight savings time and walk after school.  I did last year.  Do you walk outside every day?


 Here's looking at you, kid.  What are you going to look at today?  In the new (to us Americans) Mollie Makes, there are patterns for pockets.  I want to make a white-fronted skirt with a happy calico pocket and I might try that today.
Bill is on his way home from the Philippines.  Isn't this a gorgeous sunset?  He has had the most encouraging time there.  He and four friends put on a "traveling seminary" for some of the youth workers there.  People of the Philippines are so smiley, happy, responsive, and appreciative.  They all enjoyed each others' company very much.  Now, he's on his way back to me.  I'll dash out to the airport at dinner time and retrieve him.  Hooray!  
Last night I went over to Kelli's so they could go out to dinner.  When it was time for Millie Rose to go to bed, I cheated a little (a slight, very slight, deviation from her bedtime routine) and rocked her to sleep.  We sang songs that I have known for decades.  "Be sure of this, be very sure of this, I'm with you always, even until the end of the world."  "Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true.  With thanksgiving, I'll be a living sanctuary for you."  "Lay hold, lay hold, upon the good things of the Lord."  At first, Millie just looked at me while we rocked and sang, received soft smooches, and listened.  Soon, she was asleep and then I just rocked myself for a while.  I like to rock.  
This next weekend is . . . Finn's Picnic!  We'll have all the grands and all the kids and all the food for our last summer event before Granny goes to school again.  Finn is going to be three.  Three is a very good age.  
And by the way, YOU are at a very good age.  Don't you think?  When you have all of eternity before you, it's easy to forget that this time, this moment, this stage, is significant.  It is.  You are learning so much each day.  You are feeling so much each day.  My oh my, YOU are a keeper.  Happy Sunday!  Sing yourself a song or two, okay?

21 comments:

Lynn said...

Pom Pom - you're eyes are the most incredible blue.
A lovely post as usual.
You cheer my soul.
I made my classroom homey too!
Your pupils are truly blessed to have you as their teacher.

Elizabethd said...

Lovely thoughts.
I don't think that I ever found a moment of solitude when I was teaching....I ahd to find it outside the school.

Angela said...

Those blue eyes! Here's lookin' at you, Kid!
Thanks for the mention - did you realise that here in the UK, most of our binders are 2-ring or 4-ring? Years ago I was given a beautiful binder from the US- then had to hand punch paper to fit in it cos back then I couldnt find any over here!!
Moments of solitude when working with rumbunctious children are rare and precious.
Love the picture of sky - right now it is grey, thundery here, with random flashes of lightning

Sound like your beloved has been doing a grand job in faraway places- hoping he is soon home and in your loving arms again.

VBlessings, PomPom - and thank you for all your encouragements during our holiday club x

Farm Girl said...

Wow, how is it I never ran across you, I have now and I am so thankful God has brought you in my life. I love your ponderings so much. You make me laugh and cry and you make me aware of all of the things I have to be thankful for. You spur me on to take the time to think deeper thoughts.
I love how in my soul that is made up of of a mosaic God knew I needed one more piece and that piece was you, dear Pom Pom, because you touch my soul.
Have a wonderful day and every time I look up in my tree, I will thank of you.
Have a blessed day.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

A Happy Sunday to you of the lovely blue eyes. I enjoyed your Sunday festive thoughts very much; they brightened my day for the sun is not shining here yet this morning....that is, clouds are covering him up but I'm sure we'll see him later today.

I don't walk around much outside either...and feel the need to get that habit going again...maybe when it cools down a bit.

Gumbo Lily said...

Is there anything better than to rock and sing a wee one to sleep? I love it and am always singing a song of praise to God amongst "London Bridge" and "I Love You, A Bushel and a Peck."

Your eyes -- deep pools of blue and yet laughing.

Thanks for the summer cheer, Pommy-Friend.

Jody

Laura said...

Yes what amazing bright blue eyes you have! And thanks again for sharing your ponderings...I might have to try making my own classroom more homey now. Thanks for the ideas!

Elderberry-Rob said...

What beautiful eyes you have - you always make me feel like writing something myself when I read your posts! tonight I am rushing a lot as my oldest boy is packing for a mission trip with his youth group to Spain and we have had prayer meetings and stuff in preparation - must sit down and do some puttering and twittering later. Bettyx

Gigi said...

Oh, you good Granny -- rocking and singing - so sweet! The only rocking chair song I can ever remember the words to is the Mockingbird song. I should study up, shouldn't I?!
Stunning blue eyes Missy -- the windows to a lovely soul.
Blessings & hugs,
GG

debbie bailey said...

You always cheer me up no matter how blue I'm feeling. Thanks, dear friend.

M.K. said...

Glad your hubby is coming back home to you today :) It's hard when they're away!

I know exactly what you mean about needing to make your classroom very homey. I had to do that too: candles, flowers, books, pretty things on the desk, and always lovely music. I even had a screen-saver on my laptop that was a crackling fireplace, and I'd put it up on the smartboard in winter. I so wanted to be at home (but loved teaching too), that I wanted my room to feel like home. The kids seemed to love it too. I know yours will!!!

Leslie said...

Beautiful eyes of a beautiful lady. I love the peaceful picture you painted of singing your little grandy girl to sleep. I have a hard time remember words so I am always making up my own songs. I would always sing and snuggle with my kids after a bath. That was my favorite time when they were all "fresh and clean" and wrapped up in a towel on my lap. Hugs from Tx.

Lisa Richards said...

Pom Pom, I tried taking a photo of my eyes as you did. It was scary! Maybe it's a lack of makeup! LOL! Thanks for another inspiring and cheerful post! I need to brush up on my rocking songs too!
Back to coloring my Pom Pom sketches. :)

Shey said...

Oh Pom Pom you have such beautiful eyes, I wish you the best on going back to your classroom, I think the notebook will be a great idea and I might have to do something similar for my quiet time, well at least I want to make the effort to have a quiet time this year, I'll need it.

ann said...

Here we go again. Talking about school. It's in our blood. I like your idea to make your classroom more like home. Perhaps if I could make my classrooms more like home the kiddos would stick around campus on week-ends. You do have nice plans for ending the summers. Picnics with family are always a nice way to end the summer. Your posts always make me smile.

Pom Pom said...

YOU are all so dear! Thank you for your kind, kind, uplifting words. Bill's home! Whew!

Anonymous said...

Your eyes are SO BEAUTIFUL! So many sweet things for you to enjoy before you go back to school ~ savor each of these precious moments! It looks like a lovely trip you had ~ everything was so pretty. We are planning on going to the Skagit County fair this week ~ and I will think of you!

Have a lovely day, sweet friend!
Sharon

no spring chicken said...

So today I just may take a long walk and see what there is to see. Then I'll rock and sing. I don't have a sweet babe to sing to but I can practice! Thanks for the encouragement 'ol blue eyes... I think this will be the perfect day. I'll make the most of it remembering that I'm a keeper! (So are you, sweet friend)~

Blessings, Debbie

Jessica Lynn said...

I just love you Pom! I wonder if you know what comfort your words bring.. so much!! Thank you!

xo

The dB family said...

Your posts make me happy. I DO like the age I'm at. I like the ages my kids are at too. Life is good. I feel blessed. I know you do too. Enjoy!!

Blessings and hugs!
Deborah

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Oh, you are the loveliest, Double-P. And that baby holding Raggedy Anne? How dear is that?

Traveling mercies for your dear Bill--hope you have a wonderful reunion!

xofrances

Followers