Friday, December 10, 2010

The Carpenter I Love


From the Stillmeadow Daybook by Gladys Taber, page 188:
And what a miracle it is that down the centuries, in the midst of wars and destruction and famines and pestilence the spirit of this carpenter has proved more mighty than any other power for it grows and shines in our day as it did then.
And how wonderful that we can freely celebrate His birth is America, let our candles shine openly from every window, and decorate the live evergreen in every village square. Every door may wear its wreath, and the carols sound all over the country.
I am reminded of my friend Lois Holloway whose grandmother stopped every day in St. Mary's on her way home. Her son said, finally, "but mother, what do you find to pray about every day?"
"Oh, I don't pray," she said calmly, "I just sit there and look at God, and God looks at me."

Two things: Love my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength and love my neighbor.

9 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

I had never heard of this book until you did a post on it and since then have been looking for a copy in my county libraries (not listed). I might just have to buy it! In the meantime, could you keep giving us snippets please? it's lovely stuff. Betty x

Leslie said...

Lovely quote from sweet Gladys. Merry CHRISTmas!

Gigi said...

Beautiful quote, Pom!
Blessed Christmas to you & yours,
xoxoxox,
GG

Lynn said...

My book will be coming any day soon!! Thanks so much for the recommendation - you have told me about some lovely books - thanks Pom Pom!!
L.x.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! And I ADORE your new header picture!! xxx

Gumbo Lily said...

"I just sit there and look at God..." Come let us adore Him! I love the Carpenter too.

Jody

Kerri said...

Oh I love that line, "I just sit there and look at God, and God looks at me." I feel the same.

A garden just outside Venice said...

How cute your Nativity set!
xxx

The dB family said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing it!

Blessings!
Deborah

Followers