Thursday, November 9, 2023

Coastal Rainbows

Hi friends!  I recently returned from Washington State.  Jenny and I visited my sweet mom and my brothers and my sisters in law.  We went to my brother's new island home.  Isn't this view incredible?  We sat and talked, looking out the window, and reveling in God's amazing work.  

This is Jenny's birthday pie.  Yummy!  It's the month for pie baking.  Maybe I'll lug the food processor down from the inaccessible cupboard above the refrigerator today.  It's so heavy but I have apples that want to be a pie.  I also have bananas that want to be banana bread.  I better get baking!  When I read my grandmother's diaries I find many entries that speak of baking.  Who ate all those bakes?  I really don't know but I am always inspired by baking talk.  Are you?  

I've also been thinking about sewing.  I love needlework of all sorts and I can't do it all (at least I don't think I can) but I do have three or four things to finish (a dress, linen pants, pajama pants, a long smock/blouse).  Remember when I was sewing all those costumes?  Wow. Now I don't know how I did all that.
Here's what I love about November:

the cool air, the leaves, family birthdays, thoughts of the Thanksgiving feast, anticipation of Christmas festivities, cheery retail displays, holiday ideas . . . 

What are your November thoughts?


 

21 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a lovely sight a rainbow is, particularly in a wet and miserable sky!

happyone said...

A beautiful rainbow.
Wow what a perfect looking pie!!!

M.K. said...

Glad you had a lovely visit with family in that beautiful part of the world! I also LOVE autumn/October/November. The weather is what I love, plus all the outdoor look -- the leaves, the slant of sunlight, the wind, and as you say, the anticipation!

ellen b. said...

Glad you had a good time visiting your family in Washington state. That is a very lovely view to look at and enjoy. My thoughts are trying to find a good spot to land right now. Haha! Lots of things coming up. Baking just says comfort to me...
Have a beautiful day dear Lady!

Lowcarb team member said...

We've had quite a few rainbows recently, they are always nice to see.
November brings some wonderful Autumn/Fall colour ... such delight.

It's almost the weekend, I wish you a good one.

All the best Jan

Gretchen Joanna said...

I love your mushroom lamp, PomPom! It's perfect for you.

I haven't seen a rainbow for a long time... maybe I saw one last year sometime...? But I've been loving the rainy weather. Except, now it is getting cold! But I have a wood fire all laid and I think I might light it tomorrow.

Happy November and Thanksgiving!

Between Me and You said...

I follow another lady from USA who is a fabulous cook. Her name is Brenda Gantt and the other day she made sweet potato cake for Thanksgiving. I was laughing at the fact it would have fed an army, so big was this cake! Great to see you've been out and about dearest Pom. Rainbows are such a sign of hope. Hope there's more of them.x

Kezzie said...

I love a rainbow!!! Thank you for sharing! Your mushroom lamp is so cheerful!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Pie looks delicious, you are such a good writer and prompter, Pompom :)
November for me is all about the colours of nature in the woods, the browns and golds, the low sun, the early nights and street lights going on, warm duvets, slippers - jim jams (never had pyjamas before, what have I been missing! we call them jim jams). Betty

Aaliyah said...

Thanks for sharing.
Wishing you a happy new month.
ការវិវត្តន៍ហ្គេមបាញ់ត្រី

Happy@Home said...

That is a lovely view especially with the rainbow.
I am finding it hard to believe that November is already half over. Didn't it just get started? :)

Bonnie K said...

I also love baking. That is my favorite thing about fall and winter baking!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

MELODY JACOB said...

Oh, how I like a rainbow! I am grateful that you shared this. Your lamp looking like a mushroom is so upbeat!
You are welcome to read my most recent post.

Bonnie K said...

I love baking and quilting. Sounds like you are busy. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Queen Vegas said...

Your post was a standout! Your writing is top-notch. Keep up the excellent work and write more!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hi karen, whenever I see your posts I feel inspired to homemake, cook something, be thankful! November for me is about colour, lovely reds and yellows on the trees here, fresh morning walks, having the heating on, cooking casseroles and wearing soft, warm wool. Betty x

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Hello, glad you had a wonderful November visit with your siblings! Beautiful rainbow over the water, oh my! Love your new little light. Can you believe it will be December, tomorrow! Oh my, how the days fly by! Blessings to you!

MELODY JACOB said...

perfect looking pie

Chris said...

That pie looked absolutely delicious, amazing photo of the rainbow, Gods handiwork indeed.

Lisa Richards said...

I don't do much baking these days (because I would eat too much of my baking!), but my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie turned out rather well if I do say so myself. :)

I'm thankful for your cheerful and uplifting posts, Pom!

Followers