Thursday, January 5, 2023

Work

Hello🙂 I'll get right to the point.  Do you have a word for the year?  I know this isn't a new concept, but I had to think of a word for my year because a friend suggested it in a prayer group.  She intended it as a sharing question and it was a good idea.  I mulled a few words over and couldn't quite get excited but then I settled on the word WORK.  I realized that I seem to think of work as in "I don't want to do that, but I should"and then I thought about how when God created man, before the fall, man was given meaningful and pleasant work to do.  It got hard after the humans sinned, but prior to that work was a positive thing.  I think work will be pleasant in Heaven once again!  I would LOVE to hear how you define work. 




I thought it was funny that Mary Poppins has to work at Disneyland.  She signs autographs and also meets and greets.
Hobbits work.  Maybe I'll bake some bread today, but then again I am going to meet a friend for lunch right by the bakery that sells excellent bread.  Hmmmmmmm.
Look at the beaver working on my Emma Bridgewater mug.  (Tim's cat tree is in the background and no, he doesn't use the ladder)
I think a lot of what makes work WORK is focus.  I found a few verses that address our work. 

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24

"So whether you eat of drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  1 Corinthians 3:31

I think those two verses address what I am thinking about so, I think I'll make a little plan. I've made working plans before so I want this plan to be different.  It might involve note cards and lists (because I do love note cards and lists).  I want to be creative about it as opposed to mundane.  Maybe at the end of the day, I'll ask myself (or list) what I did that was my work and I'll write those things in my journal or calendar.  Then I will think about what I've done and determine what God might be saying to me in light of what I did that day.  Does this sound fun to you?  😂 Let me know.  

What is your work?  It might be a paying job. It might be writing or making art.  It might be cooking or baking.  It might be reaching out to people every day.   

xoxoxoxo
 

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

As I get older I think of my work being what I need to do to keep the house clean and relatively neat, meals made and laundry done. I aim to get my "work" done before lunch so I can do the other, more interesting things. I don't mind the work but I don't enjoy it as much as I do puttering around. Not sure this makes sense. I love lists too and notebooks and journals...those are part of my putterings. Have a great weekend, dear PomPom.

ellen b. said...

Yes, we've had many thoughts about work. God created man to work and it's a good thing and a privilege to work. Being retired you get a choice of what your work is going to be. Service in the Body of Christ is a good place to look for work. Happy list making and merry working to you!

Jeanie said...

I do a word but haven't picked it yet. I like your interpretation of work. Yes, when I do certain things others might think of as leisure or hobby, I think of them as work. It's the attention required and desire to do it best.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

When you say “work” I immediately think of someplace your leave home and to go to earn pay. What I do here doesn’t mean the same to me — it is homekeeping — some of it more fun than other but I don’t view it the same as I do an outside job. For one reason, an outside job is where you go to do a prescribed set of “things” — things to be accomplished and finished. A list so to speak. I don’t view homekeeping like that because for one thing it never gets finished! haha! And also, it is home — your safe happy place and how can that be work?

Lowcarb team member said...

I know many bloggers choose a word, it's not something I do, although these words come to mind peace, love, hope, kindness :)

All the best Jan

Bonnie K said...

To me work means something that needs to be done. I really liked this post. It made me ponder 🤔.

M.K. said...

Those are very interesting questions! I've generally thought of work in a positive way -- I think of "work" as just being productive. I've had not-so-great work experiences career-wise, but I really love being productive at home, whether inside the house or in the yard/pasture. Now that I think of my work as being creative (making things), I do enjoy it and find it very fulfilling. Working to please God rather than satisfy others' or my own expectations is a very freeing way to live. I thought recently (don't know where this idea came from) that we humans were created for one first, primary task: to look with awe and appreciation on the beauty that God has created. If I am looking at the trees or the sunrise or my hens -- whatever -- and I am amazed and adoring of God who makes this beauty, then I am serving my purpose and pleasing him. That takes a lot of the "work" pressure off!

Followers