Friday, November 27, 2015

Gravy for Breakfast


 The morning before the feast I had intended to bake and clean, but instead I spent and hour or two with these cutie pies.  Kelli was busy getting ready to go to the mountains and she and Bryan picked them up on their way out of town.  We zipped through the donut store drive-thru with plans to accompany our treats with hot chocolate.  The donut store was out of almost all the pretty donuts.  After hearing, "We're out of those, too!" so many times I asked, "Do you have ANY donuts?"  They had some.  Is that weird to YOU? No donuts at a store with DONUT in the name?  After our second breakfast we walked up to the park.  Don't you love the look on Miss Bug's face?  Pure glee! When I was pushing Millie Rose on the swing she threw her head back and bonked my head so hard I had to "have a moment" to sort through the pain.  Right in the sinus.  Ouch!  Miss Bug asked, "Do we need to go home?"  We didn't but I have a tender bump above my eyebrow.  
 Pie baking (only 2 and some soft rolls) took a long time.  It does.  My first pastry attempt was sorry indeed.  No more shortening for me.  When I used butter and ice water for the apple pie the pastry turned out perfectly.  All my flub ups are hidden under the pumpkin custard.  


 I forgot to tell everyone to eat slowly.  Our children's spouses ate slowly anyway.  Thank you.



 The dressing/stuffing was horrible.  I made it in the crockpot and I did follow directions but I think I should have put in more bread cubes.  I drowned it in gravy but it was very sub par.  We ate the meal, Bill cleaned up, we had pie.  It goes so quickly, this feasting.  I am not sure I want to do it the same way at Christmas.  I am putting on my thinking cap and hoping for a revelation.  My friend Kim (Field of Dreams) served hamburgers last Christmas.  Now, she does live in California where it is warmer, but I think hamburgers are a good idea.  Don't tell the kids.  We'll see.

 Here is the Dottie Angel pattern and my fabric.  Tif (Dottie Angel) calls it a frock.  I don't really wear a lot of harvest shades, so mine is going to be blue.  I will not wear ankle boots or mid-length leggings and slouchy socks with mine.  I have some blue linen wide-legged pants that I will wear under my Dottie dress.  
 Last night when Bill and I had said good bye to our two youngest kids and their families, I watched White Christmas.  I kept remembering the first time I watched it with our Brad.  He thought Danny Kaye was so funny!  Aw.  It's so sweet and the time period is so jazzy with all that nightclub action and fancy clothing.  The inn in Vermont is lovely.  Today I watched The Family Man.  Again, it's the house and family living that I like about this favorite.  Next up, While You Were Sleeping, You've Got Mail, The Holiday, and Elf.
I didn't think I savored my gravy enough yesterday so I had potatoes and gravy (and sparkling cider) for breakfast.  Tasty.
I'll be back for Pause in Advent on Sunday.  I was recovering today, so I hope that I feel very elfish tomorrow.  I think I'll put up our old tree anyway.  I think it I spend enough time bending the branches to look less crunched it'll be okay.  
More than festive, I want this December to be holy and rich with learning.  I have a lot to learn about the baby in the manger. There's always more to learn.  
I hope this Friday finds you well.  I'll be back on Sunday.  

15 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I hope your sinuses are feeling better! Kiddos do tend to toss their heads about at inopportune moments. :)
Your feast looks yummy. I go simple all the way: turkey loaf, instant potatoes, Stove Top, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberry sauce and olives, with "punkin" pie (which turned out very well this year). Lots of leftovers, which is the best part!
Sounds like a lot of good movies you watched. I watched several myself. I love "You've Got Mail" and "While You Were Sleeping". Also "Elf"!
I look forward to seeing the "frock". I see so many so-called "dresses" for sale online that I would call tunics. They would be great over jeans. Sounds like that's what you have in mind.
We often go out for Chinese on holidays. Hamburgers sound very down-to-earth and delicious.
Thanks for sharing your news. Always fun to read. XXOO

Gumbo Lily said...

It all looks so cozy and inviting at your Thanksgiving table and the plates loaded with food look delish too! I love gravy, but I didn't have any for breakfast. Yours looks good!

I like the dottie dress -- 'twould look cute with boots, I think.

I'm not quite ready for Christmas movies yet. I do want Advent, but not the tree and all just yet. I like a little space.

All the best, dear friend! ~J

Laura said...

Your post title caught my attention!
What followed was a wonderful post about family, food, and fun.

I think hamburgers at Christmas is a great idea!

Lauea

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hope you feel better. You pack so much in to each day! You worked so hard on your thanksgiving meal and everything - your home is a real hub and I'm sure nobody noticed whether your stuffing or fruit pie was perfect - it was home and that's what everyone will remember! I saw on the news last night that your part of the world has some big snow - envious! We have a new boiler - everything here is so warm and cosy - trees are on my mind too - I am going to have a tiny one this year but rooted so can plant out later - we know a place where they dig them out for you with care. Betty x p.s. Dotty Angel pattern looks pretty - you could adapt it a lot and have pinafores to go over things.

Fat Dormouse said...

Hello Dear Pompom! I know what you mean about the feasting going so quickly! I don't know if this would work with your family, but we spread our Christmas meal throughout the day... We start with our usual breakfast, or maybe a treat oif a croissant, or pain-au-chocolat. Nothing too much though! Then we relax and read and listen to music. About 10 o'clock or so, we have smoked salmon, with a little champagne. We maybe open our presents then, or go for a walk. About 12.00 or 1.00 we have foie gras with a glass of something nice, and then companionably prepare the veggies and the main course of whatever we're having. We may watch a Christmas film. About 4.00 we have the main course and then tidy up the kitchen. And the rest of the afternoon/evening is spent with the TV/books/music. We don't generally have dessert, but cheese, wine and Christmas cake sustain us through the evening.
This way we don't eat huge amounts of food altogether, it is calmm and quiet, and feels special, but the lovely food isn't gone in an instant! Maybe you could adapt the idea to suit your family? I hope your bumped head isn't still hurting you!

Henny Penny said...

Sorry about the bump you got. Ouch, they hurt really bad. Okay, your's is the perfect Thanksgiving post! Seriously, I love your dining room setting, and those lights! Your turkey looks absolutely perfect as well as the pie and the rolls! How warm and cozy and inviting you make everything. I'm remembering all this to look back on next Thanksgiving! :) Talk about eating slowly...I'm always saying, if only we could sit and enjoy the meal as long as it takes to prepare it!

Rednesty said...

Hope you are not suffering ill effects from the bump. Wow what a feast and what beautiful weather you had too! The leaf colour looks glorious. Over here in the UK it is wet, cold and grey and the leaves are all whipped away now! Tania ~HedgerowHarvest~

happyone said...

Ouch! Hope your bump is gone.
I had a flub up with my first pie crust too and threw it away and started over. Came out the second time.
A happy day to you.

Julia said...

Dear Pompom, I hope that bump on the sinus is all better by now and no bruising.
I think it was very kind of your little granddaughter to ask if you wanted to go home.

Your Thanksgiving plate looks so delicious and the table setting looks very festive. I would love a piece of pie and a soft roll please.
Great movie list.

Take care, Hugs,
JB

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

potatoes and gravy for breakfast! things like this, are missed, when dinner is at a son's house.

methinks' we need to do our own turkey, mid december. so we have all those left overs!!!!!

how about "the man who came to dinner" for an old
Christmas classic film???? it stars montey wolley, who used to live in our city. :-)

it is a totally silly and hilarious film. with billie burke even.

Catherine said...

Hello Pom Pom. I am so thankful for you! That was a good idea eating gravy & potatoes for breakfast. It brings to mind a memory from ago having left over gravy poured over hot buttered toast...scrummy! Glad you reminded me about the Dottie Angel pattern since it's nearly, almost summer here. I just did a little search & found this post about the making of the dress. Thought it might be useful to you if you haven't started yet http://www.houseonhillroad.com/my_weblog/2015/07/my-dottie-angel-frock.html
Much love Catherine x0x0x

Between Me and You said...

I got whacked in the mouth by a hairbrush which was meant to be brushing her sister's hair but at 1-and-a-bit years old, she couldn't quite manage to keep a grip of it! We watched 'Elf' today which I've never, ever seen but which the 6-year-old was intent on telling me the ending but we never got that far because their parents came to pick them up and after that I was like a washed-out dishrag! It took me a good two hours to get my place back to looking anything like respectable but I wouldn't have missed any of it for anything. Those kisses and cuddles are what get me through sometimes! Hope your face isn't too sore now. xxx

Farm Girl said...

I think all of your food looks so yummy!!! I love your choice in movies. I need to start getting out my Christmas movies.
The girls look so happy. I bet that hurt!! I read that and I thought about the tears in your eyes. I knew that hurt.
I hope you are having a nice restful weekend.

Granny Marigold said...

I love the pastry cut-outs you made for your pies! I always have trouble with my pie crust and have to hide the"flub-ups" as you so aptly call them.
I hope your nose/eyes are feeling better. I'll bet that really hurt!
My sister also had the idea of not having the usual turkey at Christmas and is planning an Italian meal....Lasagna will be in the line-up for sure.
I'm looking forward to reading the Advent posts.

Bradley W. Maston said...

What a lovely turkey day. I love holiday movies. So we have already watched Christmas Vacation, Elf, muppet Christmas Carol. And many more to come. I am looking forward to watching white Christmas. That Danny Kaye is a hoot!

Followers