Thursday, October 14, 2021

A Sweet Day

 If you've never watched Stitched by Mrs. D on YouTube, you might want to! She is a maker from Norfolk England and right now she's posting a video almost every day (Vlogtober they call it).  Anyway, last year when she did daily Christmas posts during December she showed this cute jam Advent calendar so I ordered one this year.  Each day in December you open a new little jam.  Isn't it cute?  I love Advent and I'm already excited about it!  
Our weather is going to get cold tonight so I harvested tiny zucchinis today.  I'm sad that my zinnias may be completely withered in the morning. Oh well.  Fall and crisp weather are lovely.  The yellow trees are incredible this year. 
Here is the last of the rhubarb!  I added strawberries and I ate it for breakfast the day I baked it.  Thankfully, Bill ate the rest.  He loves rhubarb now!  Yahoo!  A convert!
One of my good friends and I were texting back and forth about the Eloise Wilkin books.  I gathered mine (on the ironing board) and sent her this picture.  I realized I didn't have We Help Mommy and We Help Daddy (I'm sure our children wore them out) so I ordered them.  My friend Kristi ordered We Help Mommy.  I tried to read We Help Daddy to the two and three year olds yesterday at Bible study, but they were distracted and basically not interested😂.  We decided that we love the houses, the rooms, in the stories and we'd like our houses to look exactly like Mrs. Wilkin's  illustrations.  What do you think?  I remember enjoying the pages just as much as my copies of Country Living when I read them to our kids. 
It's cozy around here this morning.  I made a coffee cake.  Right now Timothy is downstairs on the spare bed, sleeping on top of a big pile of comforters and quilts.  The heat is on so he'll stay down there under the ceiling vent. He'll sleep there for hours.  I would like to stay home all day.  I'll go for a walk and listen to Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher.  I'm just about finished (I've read it several times).  I resisted Audible for the longest time, but I am enjoying it so much.  Yay!
 
I'm making a red sock.  I am knitting so many things.  I love knitting so many things☺️at once. 
I just might move some furniture around today.  We moved our bed from under the window to beside the window.  I get to sleep near the window and I LOVE cold air coming in and I love seeing the moon.  Anyway, I must shift my night table/cabinet now.  It's going in the living room, so our old scruffy wing chairs will probably be relocated.  Isn't that always the way?  In order to move one thing, another thing must be moved and then all the floors must be swept and mopped, and this takes lots of time and that's when I want to take a nap.
When I don't know what to do first, I iron.  That's what I'm going to do now.  Bye bye, sweet reader!
Oh!  Jolly landed in Ireland.  He's going to take it slow there.  You may not hear of his doings for a while, but rest assured . . . he's in the hands of wonderful Mags.  She's got to be one of the friendliest people on planet Earth.  Remember how it took me about two years to launch the Jolly Postman?  Yeah, so he is not on a time schedule at all.  Wouldn't it be great to travel around knowing that if you wanted to pause your trip, you could?  Jolly told me that he wanted to stay longer at each stop.  I wonder if he's still texting Annie in Scotland.  He really likes her. ❤️
I am going to read We Help Mommy and We Help Daddy before I go to the ironing board.  When Bill leaves for his lunch meeting, I am going to sing from my hymn book.  Then I want to open my Bible and pray prayers from the Psalms. I'm going to have a sweet day.  I hope you do, too.  (BIG HUG!)

 

14 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

The weather here has turned cold and wet and I, like Timothy, stay close to any source of warmth. I hope we get more sunny days while the trees are still colourful.
I don't do any handwork but I plan on looking in on Mrs. D to see what she makes. When I stay indoors more I have more time to look up interesting YouTube videos.
Have a lovely weekend!!

ellen b. said...

I'll have to check our bookshelves and see if we have any of those sweet books. I'll have to check out that vlogtober from Norfolk. Three year olds are pretty squirrelly! :) Your day sounded very peaceful and nice! Blessings on you and yours.

GretchenJoanna said...

Your hands must be feeling better?

I love reading about all your knitting, baking, ironing and reading/praying/singing. Much love to you, Dear Pom Pom.

<3

Julie said...

Hello dear Pom Pom. Your red sock is just beautiful ... & Timothy is beautiful too. I must watch Mrs D on YouTube as another vlogger I watch has recommended her channel too. Have a super weekend dear friend xx

Kim said...

I have been listening to the Book of Psalms being read by David Suchet, of Hercule Poirot fame. His lovely theatrical English voice is soothing and restful. Love, love Heloise Wilkin's beautiful books. The illustrations are divine. I must watch Mrs D on vlogger. Have a lovely day. Nice red sock!

Elderberry-Rob said...

How delightful that you sing. I haven't heard of those books, when I was a child it was the ladybird Janet/John or Peter/Jane books then the Waterbabies. Timothy has the best cat life. I have my bed alongside the window for same reasons - I like to look at the moon, we have an owl in a tree right opposite this year it is not woo-hooing but tuwit sqwauking - maybe it has found a mate.

Julia said...

I think one of those Advent jam calendars would make a nice gift for an elderly person.

I always enjoy seeing what you knit. Years ago, I used to knit mittens, socks, scarves, and sweaters for my family but lately, I only knit, if I need to. I much prefer to crochet for some reason.

I'm looking forward to reading about Mr. Jolly. He's been quiet lately.

Take care,
Hugs, Julia

elizabeth said...

fun!!! I love Advent too! It DOES take time to change things in the home! God bless you! Glad Jolly is in Ireland!

happyone said...

We have been having some beautiful fall weather days - it's been exceptional.
I love rhubarb but my husband doesn't so I have to it eat all myself. :)
Those are some great books and I have many of them too!!
I've tried audio many times but just can't concentrate on them.
Changing furniture around is something I enjoy doing.
So nice to see one of your newsy posts.

Lisa Richards said...

I read the Eloise Wilkin books to my kids. I remember We Help Mommy and We Help Daddy. I may have the Mommy book on my shelves. I find the grands aren't into being read to, though they like to read to themselves. I agree that I love the illustrations and the colorful homes she portrays. I find myself picking up children's books at the thrift store that I used to read to my kids and realized I usually chose books because I loved the illustrations. Now I'm mailing some of these books to my two sons who have one year olds. Hopefully they'll get some use! I love to see your knitting. I fear I lack the patience, but will probably knit a washcloth now and then. The rhubarb/strawberry dessert looks delectable. I don't sing around the house much, but I did listen to my YouTube worship list yesterday with tears running down my face. Lovely post! :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Changing furniture around is often hard work, but so rewarding.

Timothy looks so comfortable :)

Enjoy these October days.

All the best Jan

M.K. said...

Those red socks look so pretty. I'm very eager for Advent and Christmas too, and I have to remind myself not to wish autumn away! NOOOO - that would be awful. I remember the books by Eloise Wilkin. I think we had one or two. Lovely illustrations. I hope you have MANY cozy days at home with Timothy, knitting. Doesn't that sound perfect?

R's Rue said...

So pretty 😍

magsmcc said...

I wish you cosy naps and much moon love this wonderful November. I LOVE November. Jolly and I have been discussing this, in between meeting three very lovely colleens and having one mysterious encounter with a fairy... I have just been reading Psalm 59. Such a life David had. So many highs and lows.

Followers