Monday, February 25, 2019

All Good

 Hello!  I've been reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens.  Our Brad recommended it to me because when he finished he was so full of exuberance and called to talk about it.  I have only read A Tale of Two Cities, so I branched out a bit.  I'm loving it.  Kim at My Field of Dreams is a big Dickens promoter, too. Between the two of these book enthusiasts, I have a nice little panel in which to present my own observances.  Yay!  Isn't book talk fun?

Tim is such a cuddle bug these days.  He can't get enough lap time.  He even sleeps on the bed with us ALL night long.  He is a lap cat to be sure.  I'm grateful.  I love cats.
 On Friday night it snowed and snowed.  The up side of big snows is the way the white brightens everything!  It's a good time to clean the house because the light shows all the dirt.  Hmmmmm.  I'll consider that.
 See?  He's such a floppy little gentleman.
 As I try to figure out knitting color work, I have a bigger appreciation for things like this LL Bean sweater my mom gave me.  I think I am overthinking my color work.  It just doesn't seem to come naturally to me.  I look at the chart all the time.  I am sure I need much more practice.
 It's definitely boot weather.  I love my Blundstones.  I ordered the "work" version because they were cheaper, but they are heavy.  I think my heavy shoe days may be almost over.  I need light shoes so I can hop about (yeah, right).
 I'm practicing my mitten making.  I still have a whole mitten to finish but I started this version.  I'm like a blind old mole staring at the chart.  It's hard work, I tell you.

 I looked back and back and back at my old blog posts to see what I was thinking about in late February for the last ten years (wow - I am a long time blogger, I guess) and every year there has been lots of cold snow and ice and every year I have whined about it. 
 Spring will come.  At least the Easter candy is out at the grocery store.  It's so cheery looking.  I do love to squeeze all the soft bunnies, lambs, and other springlike soft toys I find in the seasonal aisle.  
Look who got his first professional haircut! Cutie! Christie sent me this photo.


Lent begins on March 6.  Are you observing Lent?  I like to do a few quiet and personal activities, so I'm thinking about it.
It's almost time to go kite shopping.  FUN!
Thank you for stopping in.  You are very kind to do so.  

20 comments:

Kim said...

Hey, Karen! That knitting project definitely looks challenging! I don't knit, only crochet, but I admire those who do.

Your boots are cute! As is your grandson's haircut! Such a little man!

Have a good week! Spring will soon be here!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

yes, I observe Lent. I don't "give up" stuff, like chocolate, but I try to DO something, usually personal and quiet -- like devotions or something.

Heather LeFebvre said...

I'm reading the Pickwick Papers right now and having fun with it!!! Love your red rose on that gorgeous LL Bean sweater!!! ;) Winter is a long, cold one this year.

Debi said...

I can't believe how your grandson has grown! Your knitting is more than I would attempt... it looks hard! February is a hard month... but as you said, spring is just around the corner!! Have a great week.

GretchenJoanna said...

I wore my heaviest boots for a day or two last month and I do believe I pulled muscles in my feet!

Saw the Easter candy at Walmart today and had to walk by fast so I wouldn't casually lean down to pick up a bag.

Your whining is so faint, I can't really hear it from here. I'm hearing the rain!! We are supposed to get up to six inches in three days. THAT is unusual.

XO

Farm Girl said...

That first haircut is always such a shock isn't it? The baby is suddenly a boy. Peter had such curls, then then they were gone.
I love that sweater your Mom got you. That is funny about your post. I think mine are the same except mine is complaining that winter is over. At least this year we have a real winter.
Everything looks so cozy. Aren't cats just the best. I hope you have a lovely day and I am so glad you are enjoying Bleak House.

ellen b. said...

Hello there. How nice to have someone for discussions on what you are reading. Those boots look like they can withstand a lot. Sorry to hear they are heavy. Cute big boy haircut! I'm impressed with your knitting for sure and I do love the sweater your mom gifted you. So so true about the winter sunshine reflecting off the snow showing every dust particle in your home...sigh. Hope your last week of February is going well.

Elizabethd said...

I do like the mittens!

Kit said...

I am reading Tale of Two Cities now and I recommend, Oliver Twist! So wonderful! We just got a bunch of new snow and I am still loving it. I know I am weird....lol I occupy myself with all the stories from the Oscars. :) Kit

Gumbo Lily said...

I have not read Bleak House. You'll have to share your thoughts with us as you go along. We had sunshine over the snow today which made it so bright and beautiful. I had a tug-of-war with Heidi and we enjoyed it even at 13* for a high today.
Stay cozy with Tim and mittens, sweaters, and nifty boots!

Granny Marigold said...

I have noticed that the snow brightens the house up and yes, makes all the dust more visible!
Love your sweater and I'm impressed with those mittens you're making. The pattern is lovely.
I will be observing lent in a quiet personal kind of way. Much like what Melissa said. Take care and keep cozy.

Lisa Richards said...

Bleak House is one of those books that keep showing up on my shelf, but I haven't gotten around to reading it...yet. I like those boots! I think I've been blogging for about ten years as well. I actually checked on that the other day. Time is a-flying! My son and d-i-l started a blog in the last month or so to keep us all abreast of the progress on their house as they DIY. The younguns seem to think blogging is making a comeback. I didn't know it ever went away!:)

Julie said...

Lovely to pop by & see your wintery scenes dear Pom Pom as we swelter here. I think your knitting is just beautiful. Dear Timothy is rather beautiful too - cuddly boy!

Between Me and You said...

Look at you with your trendy footwear! You're very brave attempting strandwork on circs. I always just do it on straight needles because I find it much easier to follow the pattern. I love the colours of your new mittens. xxx

magsmcc said...

That colour work looks far too hard for me! Lent I love, but I'm not sure if I'll follow it in a daily way this year: too much life going on. I am so jealous of the snow that you and Lisa display. We've had next to none this year. Skies are blue and temperatures are warm, though I suppose it may not last. Thus far has the lord helped us x

happyone said...

Oh I'm a big Dickens fan too. I've read most of his books and have quite a good collection of them. He is my favorite author. His characters are wonderful!!
Looks like you're doing a great job on those knitting patterns. I can't do that at all. I cheat and get that yarn that makes its own pattern! :)

M.K. said...

Your mitten knitting looks SO complicated to me! I don't think I could do that kind of knitting, but I'm very delighted to see yours :) I don't remember your whining about the snow/cold each year, but I do remember that YOU love to take photos of bright fruits and veggies at the grocery store and post them on your blog because they look so beautiful in early spring. They do. Stay warm out there, PomPom!

Elderberry-Rob said...

feeling a little envy of your snow, we didn't get any here and I do always hope for a really deep thick fall that you can make snowmen with! I feel disconnected from faith/church these days so lent might be a good time for some reflection.

Marcie said...

Love the snowy scene outside your window and all the coziness inside! March is here! Spring will eventually appear and I am READY! Thank you for the cozy post - as always!

Attic Clutter said...

oh fun stuff Pom
kitties,cute kids,love the red rose on that sweater..!
Bleak House
sounds like a good read..I should get it..lol
have a good week
hugs,Patty

Followers