Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Kind August



 Sunny days are the backdrop of recent doings.  Our backyard is a welcoming square of earth.  We eat outdoors and the grands fiddle around in the grass and in the flower beds.  The garden can withstand it (no stomped blooms) but Noah did get stung by a bee last week.  Ouch.
These two spent the night and look who decided to join them. 
 My little August reminder appeared at the back door this year.  Hi Katy!  
 A purple annual.  Remember that poem titled "When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple"? Do you have any purple?
 I need to finish this hat.  I made a few mistakes in the pattern but I can't really see it, so I must keep progressing toward the top. 
 Here are a few of our gardeners.  They are very good!  They like jobs. 



 Here we have another sign of fall's approach.  Crab apples with a slight blush. My favorite color. 
 Scott is teaching Sam how to golf.  Aren't golf courses beautiful?  I hope Sam loves hitting the ball off the tee.  It's such a great outdoor sport. 
 And here we have the expert on indoor activity.  
 Have you seen The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on Netflix?  It is beautiful and completely captivating.   
 King Cuddle Bug



Tomorrow I am going to Washington.  One of my friends is on my flight, so that's going to be fun, chatting with her while we wait at the gate.
My sweet sister is picking me up at the airport and then we'll go to lunch and enjoy each other's company before heading north to our mama and brothers. 
The next day we'll be on the boat watching whales!  Yay!
I'll miss Bill and Tim.
August has been soft and kind.  The temperatures are not so scorching during the day.  The flowers are outdoing themselves.  
I hope you're doing well.  Thank you for stopping in to say hello. 

22 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a range of colour you have in the garden! It's such a nice season for doing things outside, eating, playing and just enjoying. We have lost the sunshine now and are heading into Autumn.
Enjoy your time away.

elizabeth said...

have a wonderful day today and a great trip! I am glad August has been a blessing for you!

ellen b. said...

Hoping our smoky skies clear for your time here. We have started the Guernsey movie and hope to be able to finish it soon. I like good little workers...too cute. Blessings!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I read "The Guernsey Literary Society and Potato Peel Pie Society" when it first came out and we just watched the movie a couple of nights ago. It was delightful!

Farm Girl said...

Have a wonderful time. I know you will, and how nice to have a friend to chat to on your flight.
Your gardens and your helpers are so nice. I just love how many flowers you have.
I will have to check out my crabapples.
Will you be home before September? Have fun whale watching too.

Susie said...

Love the gathering in your yard. Your wee gardeners are so cute too. Pretty flowers. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful break. Blessings, be safe, xoxo, Susie

Debi said...

Love your gorgeous flowers! Have a wonderful visit... I hope you get to see whales!

Marcie said...

Thank you for inviting us into your backyard. What fun! I hope you have a lovely adventure in Washington. It sounds wonderful!

Kit said...

Have a wonderful trip! Stay safe, and have fun. :) Kit

Granny Marigold said...

I love your pink & white Phlox. I've never seen one that colour before. Don't you love the musky scent of Phlox? My DH does not.

Have a great visit with your family. Hope you see lots of whales.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

God Speed; you'll have a FABULOUS time! August has been brutal although the weeds are in glorious form. Have you ever read my poem, Time is Fleeting? I'm not waiting to wear purple...time is short and getting shorter! lol
https://thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com/2014/08/time-is-fleetingwear-purple-now.html

happyone said...

A happy cheery post as usual. : ) Hope you get to see some whales.

M.K. said...

All looks well at your spot of Earth. The hat is lovely! I made two hats recently, but they're not as neat as that one. Just knitting. I did watch the Potato Peel movie twice, and loved it very much. And it's clean and no cussing too! I do need some "grand gardeners" like you have. My herb beds are in a terrible state!
Have fun in Washington with your sweet family.

magsmcc said...

I love that trip that you do! I cannot wait to see photos. I also love that poem. I want to be that purple lady now. I think 50 qualifies? You have such colour still. We've heading into the mulchy time!

Jeanie said...

I have so loved this August. Perfect through and through.

I loved the Guernsey movie but the book even more -- if you haven't read it, do. They had to cut some of the subplots and relationships for the sake of time and it really was too bad -- but I understand. Beautifully done, wasn't it? And so well acted!

Have a fun trip!

Kezzie said...

Your garden has some wonderful blooms. Tim looks snuggly as usual! I wish I were Tim!
I've read The Guernsey Society book but not seen the film! I think I must!x

Gumbo Lily said...

Katydids are so leafy and pretty! Your flowers are so abundant and beautiful! I like your knitted hat too and I'm amazed at how much you accomplished on those needles. I'm happy to see you've got a golfer in the making. Such a good lifetime sport. Happy travels to you!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Have a wonderful trip, how beautiful to see whales, hope you can get some pictures. Your picture of the boys gardening is sweet. I am looking forward to the onset of Autumn, the woods here are going into some beautiful brown and gold colours; it's my favourite time of year.

Lisa Richards said...

So much beauty and good family times!
I want to see that movie. And the crabapples make me want to make some jelly!
Enjoy your Washington trip! How fun to have a friend on the flight! :)

Fat Dormouse said...


Have a lovely time with your family - my mum and sister are coming to visit soon. Yay! A lovely, cheery post as always. God bless xx
Fat Dormouse.

GretchenJoanna said...

Your garden is bursting with flowers! It's the place to go to see summer in color!

I hope you are having a lovely time with your sister and parents.

Kim said...

It seems your beautiful backyard is the place to be. Your flowers are still blooming beautifully. Whale watching....how fun. Enjoy sweet lady.

Followers