Friday, February 8, 2013

In the Chamber

A while ago, I was reading one of my many books about eating, body image, blah, blah, blah and I came upon a little nugget that opened my eyes.  It was something like this:  if we ignore our internal cues (hunger) we will become much more vulnerable to external cues (and then overeat, of course).  This may seem very obvious.  It is obvious, however I finally made a more important connection because of this little tidbit of truth.  If I ignore Jesus as He calls me inward to Himself, if I don't go deep into the caverns of my soul, if I do not purposefully seek Him, I will obviously live out on the exterior borders, falling victim to the ridiculous demands of the world.  

I have been noticing that my yack, yack, yack voice, that quick commenting impulsive voice, says really dumb things.   It comments on appearances.  It cares about the temporal.  It participates in useless discussion.  When I hear it I am reminded that the thoughts it utters are carrying me away from the heart of Jesus.  I'm losing ground.  I'm overwhelmed by His sweet invitation.  Come.  Come in.  Commune with Me.  Go in, not out.  Amen.

15 comments:

Denise said...

Beautiful post :)

Anonymous said...

Pearls of wisdom, and you have shared them with us. Love to you, xxx

Nancy McCarroll said...

Just being aware it half the battle; looks like you are certainly getting there better than most of us.

You are reminding me to look at some hymns in my old hymnal.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Thank you, Pom Pom. This nugget of wisdom you have mined from your reading is very golden and shiny and I'm glad you shared it with us. I'll remember this.

Elizabethd said...

Some wonderful thoughts there, thank you. It's amazing how small phrase can develop into something profound.

Farm Girl said...

I think this post is perfect for Ash Wednesday. It should be what that is about. Going deeper and being quiet and listening to His voice. I really like what you have learned. Have a nice weekend.

magsmcc said...

You are so brave. I wish you much joyous quiet between the joyous noise this weekend x

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Karen, there's such a fine line between yack yack yack and listening to God's whisper. Lately, it's just so overwhelming, all the ill will in the world, the uncertainty, etc. When it's "that way" I have to have more Jesus time, more time of reading His Word, studying the wisdom of Spurgeon, Lewis, etc. God is able; I believe, help me, Lord, believe.

Lisa Richards said...

My hubby used to encourage me to be more talkative since I was too quiet and introspective. I found that once I began talking more I quickly got myself in trouble just rattling on. There's a lot to be said for quietness! Of course it's important to meditate on the Lord and His word rather than just looking inward on our own imperfect thoughts. Good word, Pom!

no spring chicken said...

Profound. True. Convicting. Thank you.

Blessings, Debbie

GretchenJoanna said...

I've had a similar experience to Lisa - If you are quiet some people will think you are unhappy or judgmental. But if I try to be more chatty I betray my better self as PomPom describes. Lord, help!

Elderberry-Rob said...

I think your chatter is a blessing, I go away after reading your posts and think good things and remember to talk to God - he likes our yacking, I think the whole world must sound like a ball of humming bees to God.

Linda P said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts which
are so true. My heart's desire is to have a deeper relationship with Jesus and spend time with Him.

Susan B said...

So very true...thank you.

The dB family said...

Amen! Well said, my friend!

Blessings!
Deborah

Followers