Sunday, December 10, 2017

December Doings and a Recipe for Fika

 I hope you are enjoying a sweet and meaningful prelude to Christmas.  Are you?  
 James likes to go shirtless so he can be the Hulk.  I love his shiny face so much!
 I'm still chugging away on Millie's blanket.
 And here's the baby of the family . . . 
 Cadence's Job's Daughters group sold wreaths.  I can't believe how fresh and lovely they are right out of the shipping box!
 Lizzy made Playdoh cupcakes.
 Millie turned seven and a friend of Kelli's baked the gorgeous cake pictured below. 
 I made Santa curtains.  (I know - eye roll) But, it was easy and my neighbor had given me this cute fabric years ago. 


 I bought two Pioneer Woman Christmas plates.
 Lizzy made real cookies.
  



 Kelli's girls had a performance this afternoon so NEXT week they'll be able to join us for Advent.  These four danced and fought a little (Noah, too! Well, he didn't fight and they didn't  really fight but had a hard time sharing the floor space!)






We've had lots of things going on for quite a few days now and I THINK tomorrow and the next day are going to be quiet.  I'd like to sit on the sofa and knit or cross stitch.  
Our weather is warm and sunny.  It's nice but not Christmas-y.
I baked a delicious coffee cake for book club.  They wanted the recipe, so I'll give it to you, too.
In my family we named it Bonnie's Kringler

1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 T. water
(Mix this like pie crust and roll it into two long strips 3 inches wide. Put the two strips on a cookie sheet.)

Put 1 cup water in a sauce pan with 1/2 cup butter.  Heat to boiling.  Remove from heat and mix in 1 cup flour.  Stir until smooth.  Stir in 3 eggs one at a time.  Beat mixture between each egg. Add 1/2 tsp. almond extract.  Spread this mixture over the long strips.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  
When cool frost with 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 tsp. almond extract (add a little cream if you want the frosting smoother). 
You can put sliced almonds on top.
It is so good you'll want to eat it all in one sitting.

God be with you, sweet ones. 

26 comments:

M.E. Masterson said...

Thank you for the recipe! simply delish!

Granny Marigold said...

There's always so much going on at your house! Millie's birthday
( gorgeous cake BTW), cupcakes being made (both real and Playdoh), curtains sewn, plates and wreaths acquired. No wonder you are planning a couple of days of rest.
Have a sweet and restful week.

Debbie Harris said...

I love coming to your place and seeing your beauty.
Such a sweet post~

magsmcc said...

Well, PP, my idea of a festive domestic goddess is definitely someone with Christmas crockery- but Christmas curtains too? That's swag in more ways than one!! Ah sigh, the fighting. Yes. Sharing air space sometimes just as problematic as floor space, in my house at least...

Kit said...

Such happy goings on at your place. :) I love love your Santa curtains! Enjoy the quiet. :) Kit

elizabeth said...

I love your home and how cheery it is!!! long live red and Santa curtains!!

happyone said...

Lots of happiness around your house.
Wow that cake is amazing.

M.K. said...

Hi, Pom! Thanks for that yummy recipe. I've never heard of it before. Also - what is the cake (?) with the candles in it? It looks like marshmallows with raisins ... wondering what's underneath??? And that gorgeous rose birthday cake is just amazing. I'd hate to cut it.
We are trying to rest. Each day offers a new "Christmasy event" we must (and want to) attend. Like you, I long to stay home all day in pjs and knit. I never do that, but it sounds good!

Julia said...

Your blanket looks so very sot and beautiful. It must be a Christmas gift.... tHanks for the recipe, it looks pretty simple to make but sounds very delicious. Your place always looks so celebrated. Joy, Peace and Love, Hugs, Julia

ellen b. said...

Good thing you are as young as you are! The birthday cake is very pretty! Bonnie's Kringler sounds delicious. Is that a photo of it at the top of the post?

Gumbo Lily said...

Hey Karen! I make that Kringler too, but I call it Danish Almond Puff. I like your name better. I like to spread apricot jam on top of mine after it comes out and then add icing and almonds. SO good!!

Your peeps are so amazing. Happy Advent to you.

Farm Girl said...

What a lovely family you have! You have been very busy.
I am glad that today I am sewing. I love it when my day or week has a sewing day in it.
I hope you get all rested up. Your recipe sounds so good. Thank you for sharing.

Happy@Home said...

It looks like a lot of fun and memory making moments happening at your house. Things are much quieter here, but we are looking forward to a Christmas visit from our grandson so that's very exciting.
That coffee cake sounds delicious.

Fat Dormouse said...

How strange! When you said "a coffee cake" I imagined a& calke, flavoured with coffee. Presumably a coffee cake is a cake to eat with coffee as I don't see any coffee in the recipe! (Or am I going blind?!)

Lisa Richards said...

You make kringle!?! I thought only MY family did that, lol. Everyone seems to call it by a slightly different variation of the name, but the recipe's the same. I've made this many times over the years. I was told it was part of my husband's Norwegian heritage. I may copy your recipe because I think I may have discarded my recipes when I did all my extreme cleaning before I moved here. Thanks!

I love your adorable family and your wonderful pics of warm, homey scenes. Thank you for the visual treats!

I love the retro Santa material in the curtain! And the beadboard wall with the banner. I love it all!

Pioneer Woman has so many beautiful things. They are tempting. :)

Keep enjoying your wonderful Christmas season. Your home is so cozy. I hope you get plenty of time to knit and cross-stitch! (And relax!)

Love you!

Prunella Pepperpot said...

It is looking very festive in your home and your children must be getting very excited.
I wish you and your family a very Happy Christmas and I look forward to visiting you in the New Year :)

Jeanie said...

This post is filled with such Christmas spirit and love. It makes me smile just reading it.

And I have that snowman bowl, too! Isn't it wonderful? It's one of my favorites!

GretchenJoanna said...

So many warm and Christmasy glimpses into your loving and happy family... Stay warm, Pom Pom and a Blessed Advent!

Melanie said...

Love the little glimpses into your home and that cutie! I have a few of Pioneer Woman things. I have her teapot which I love. It looks like Christmas is all around you in your home!

Jeannette said...

Joyous holy days to you. Your longing to have a day doing handwork is so easy to relate to. After several days that were scheduled with appointments and such, the idea that nothing was scheduled the following day seemed like a giant present. Can you imagine that you used to work at a job too? Ha! Merry Christmas Pom Pom.

Annesphamily said...

I have missed stopping by. Love seeing all the kiddos. Santa curtains made me smile and the 7th birthday cake for Millie, WOW! always a joy to say hello. HUGS to you and enjoy a most wonderful weekend.

Kit said...

Santa curtains! How wonderful! Looks like everyone is having a good Christmas season. Such lovely faces. :) Kit

Nancy McCarroll said...

What a good gran you are, Karen. It has been too long since I have read any blogs, so I will try and get back into that routine, and keep up with you that way.

We lost our beloved Julie on Nov 15. It has been hard, and I tell you this now with tears in my eyes. I covet your prayers. Although I know she is with Jesus now, and she is no longer in pain, grief comes to me at odd times.

Merry Christmas. We will have a good and Christ filled Advent this year. Our hope is in the Lord.
Nancy

Marcie said...

The Kringler sounds delicious! The color and joy of the season are evident in your photos. Especially love the happy faces!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

So wonderful to have family around!! Love that cake! It is so pretty. I made a Christmas valance one year too but thought it was too dark. Yours looks nice. Have a nice Christmas! Nancy

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello there, I've hopped over to see you from Karen's blog (happyone)

It is looking very festive in your home, it is such an exciting time of year.
My good wishes

All the best Jan

Followers