Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Hanging Around the House

 Can you see the butterfly resting on a zinnia?  Marilyn from Mountain Top Spice made garden flags so I did, too!  I had recently looked through my fabric stash and found quite a few cute scraps.  It was a fun morning project and I'm very cheered when I look out at the back garden.

Jane Austen happenings are quietly occurring around here.  I am also reading two good books (Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening AND Emotionally Healthy Spirituality). Both of these heavy duty books are mind-consuming.  Bill will be home tomorrow, so my long stretches of complete quiet will come to an end.  I've really been enjoying A Jane Austen Education (thank you Blackberry Rambles for suggesting it).  It is a well thought out tribute to the genius of Jane.  
The knitting project began but then I ripped it out because I had made three errors I couldn't live with.  I knit sort of tight and even, so I think I need to use bigger needles when I make things with fingering weight yarn. 

 My snuggle bug misses Bill.  He's missing out on half of the spoiling he's grown accustomed to.
 I may try one more time with the JA knitting because I think Hetty's Sunday cuffs are cute. 
 I drink more tea when I am home for long stretches.  I have taken a vacation from dinner.  I haven't been cooking like I do when Bill is home.  I like to cook, but I really don't like eating a big dinner anymore.  Are you as hungry for dinner as you used to be when you were younger?

Maybe you'd like some of James' green play clay.  


 PLEASE come over and take some of the squash away.  PLEASE. 

No, this isn't YOUR cookie cutter, but I bet you have one just like it! 
 We made peas in memory of my dad who liked to eat them.  Do you like peas?

James did a little digging in the back garden.  He planted a few pansies. 

 A bat got herself caught in Jenny's trampoline net.  ARGH!  We were all creeped out for a while.  Sam was jumping on the tramp and saw it.  Shivers. 
 I made applesauce cupcakes for Kelli's family. They had a wonderful time at Mt. Hermon family camp in California. 

While I was at their house the other day, the dogs killed a rat (more shivers) and then as I was driving out the driveway I saw the neighbor's mini-horse Snickers.  She gets out somehow and grazes along Kelli's road. 


 Here's a close up of the garden flags.
  . . . and I came upon some online yarn sales.  FUN!

My all time favorite Jane Austen film is the Colin Firth "Pride and Prejudice".  I love the music and the scenery (and the casting).  I watched a documentary, too.  I'm going to keep going and dabble in the books and keep reading the devotional every day or two.  I told my book club and my family (and all of you) about my Jane Austen festival.  What a big mouth.  You are kind to show interest. 

School started here on Monday and Samantha is enjoying her new school. It's a little overwhelming because it's a new school (remember, they moved).  I was reading some of my old journals and I re-realized that teaching school wasn't really my bag.  God blessed me, making it possible for me to be a good employee and a kind teacher, but it was hard on my happy-go-lucky nature.  There were sobering aspects of teaching (sad kids, grumbly teachers, worry and fear on the part of administrators that tended to affect teachers).  I did feel for kids when I watched them come out of the woodwork in our neighborhood, as the first day of school drew near.  They have a hard road because they HAVE to go to school and it IS good for all of us to step outside of our comfort zone, but sometimes the whole school gig is less ponies and cotton candy and more grit and bumps.  Say a prayer or a million for any child you know who goes to public school every day.  The world has always been hard, but I fear it's growing meaner.

Jenny called and wanted to know if I would be interested in meeting for lunch today.  I had just eaten a late breakfast (tuna fish sandwich) and I wasn't really ready for lunch but I rarely say no to an opportunity to be around my precious peeps (unless I'm already in my jammies, Christie 😃).  Anyway, I ate a burrito and now I am stuffed to the brim, so maybe no dinner at all tonight (I've been eating grocery store chicken, smoked fish, popcorn, toast).  So you see?  Things are quiet. Bill will soon be back to ramble around our house with me.  Yay!
Thank you for popping in.  I hope your August is remaining peaceful and cheerful. 

25 comments:

Connie said...

This is an adorable post. I loved very minute of my visit here. The garden flags are delightful and thank you for the idea. My granddaughters are planning a two or three week visit next summer and I am looking for fun ideas to do when they are here. Those flags would be perfect:) I'm and huge fan of Zinnias too, they are just about the happiest flower I know. Before I say goodbye, I have to mention the spoon in your sugar bowl . . . sooooooooooooooooo cute!
Have a lovely day and do come visit. Your blogging sister and follower.
Connie :)

Debi said...

I love your garden flags.. so bright and colorful! Bats and rats... YIKES!!! I find that we don't eat big dinners as much anymore. We tried having our main meal at noon but it just doesn't seem to work out for us.

Julia said...

Your strings of flags really add lots of color to your backyard and your pretty teacup makes drinking tea more pleasurable. I used to drink tea in fancy tea cups years ago when life was less hectic.

I have the same squash problem as you. They grow so darn fast. Poor bat, I hope it could get free. At least, it didn't got tangled in your pretty bunch of yarn.

Take care, Hugs, Julia

Jennifer Hays said...

I was a teacher before I had my children, and while I loved being with the kids, I also found the job very hard on my attitude and emotional state. I understand what you mean about the kids going back to school. I love your garden flags and your heart mugs are so sweet. I received a new set of mugs for my last birthday and I swear my tea tastes ten times better than it used to. :)

ellen b. said...

I really like your garden flag/bunting a lot. That would cheer me up seeing it out the window, too. What a great idea for using up scraps, too. I'm with you on my favorite Jane Austen film. We can just binge on that series! Snickers is a cutie!

Kit said...

Love your banner! Very festive. I usually don't eat dinner anymore, just something little. And when my hubby is away I eat the oddest things. One year on the day he left, I bought a cheesecake and ate on it for a week...lol Enjoy having him back! :) Kit

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi! I love your garden flags and yes I see the butterfly! I am hoping as my perennials that they will attract more butterflies. I only saw one this year. I love the wristlets that you are going to knit. Looks like too hard for me though. I need to drink more tea!!! Nancy

Granny Marigold said...

I love the garden flags too! You made it nice and long and I like that you added some triangle pieces to the rectangles!

Ugh to the bat!

My DH is going to be away for a while next month and I'll be like you and skip suppers. I am more of a grazer than a big meal person anyway.

School certainly does start early out your way. Here the kids don't go back until the 5th of September. I hope my grands get nice teachers!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

The flags look really good on the fence. Your Zinnia's are very pretty.

Sounds like you have kept busy with your hubby out of town. I tend not to eat a big dinner, sleep better and I like to eat between 4:30 and 5 p.m. Like to get the kitchen all cleaned up before I go and watch the news.

WOW lots of yarn to make some pretty items.

Have a great weekend,
Hugs,
Mary

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Aww! Pom Pom! So happy to see a bit of my inspiration led to such a beautiful creation for you! I LOVE how you made your banner with the squares and triangles, it is just the cutest! I love to see my little banner floating in the breeze too, it brings joy to my heart. Glad you've had a quiet week... I'm with you on the dinner, it is a meal I could gladly skip too, nice to not have to cook! So sweet to see you and your grands enjoying making play dough together, and making peas in memory of your dad, such precious times! Hugs to you today :)

Elderberry-Rob said...

I LOVE Pride and Prejudice. You are very inspirational, a week with your favourite author is a brilliant plan. I love the smell of play do, James has so much fun with you, all your grandchildren are very lucky to have such a fun grandma. I bet you will be looking forward to some quality time with Bill so have a wonderful weekend together. Betty x

Kim said...

How lovely your garden flags look fluttering in the breeze behind the pretty Zinnias. LOVE zinnias. Yikes...rats....bats....so creepy. I rather like my dinner, but not too late. I am a bit of a grazer through the day. My favourite Jane Austen movie is the Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen one. Love everything about it, the sets, the music, the costumes, the scenery....though the Colin Firth BBC production is lovely as well. May you have a lovely week, lovely Pom Pom.

Kim said...

.....oops....I forgot to say you would be the most wonderful teacher. Your class would have been so imaginative and fun. =)

Fat Dormouse said...

My favourite is Sense & Sensibility with wonderful Alan Rickman in it. If he had been courting me I wouldn't have had eyes for anyone else - even Greg Wise! I am still SO sad that AR died.

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad you are doing what you love to do. I also love tuna fish sandwiches for breakfast. :) I thought I was the only one.
I love all of your happy colors and all of your happy designs. I love your playdoh you made. Ours was always green too.
Yes, I do that the gingerbread man cookie cutter. :) That is my favorite Pride and Prejudice too.
It sounds like a good week. Yuck on the rat and yuck on the bat.
It always love that you are so good at entertaining yourself. I find I need it more and more that time to be on my own. If Ron wasn't here I would never cook for me. I like to cook too.
Have a wonderful day.

Lisa Richards said...

Your garden flags are so cheerful! What a good idea!

Snickers is adorable. I bet she just walks right under the fence. She won't wander far if her herd is nearby.

I agree so much with all you said about school. It's not "the good old days" any more and kids are so vulnerable and impressionable. We can only pray that our loved ones who go to public school will have a caring teacher and a few good friends for support. Prayer is MUCH needed. I'll have two little grandgirls going after Labor Day. I'm so glad you now are FREE! They were blessed to have you!

My current read (Life With God) is one that requires thought and prayer. I'm thinking of finding something light to read alongside it.

Thanks for another thought provoking post! I could use some of that squash. My plants were duds. ;)

I've gotta get back to knitting on that dishcloth now that I'm an empty-nester again!

Hugs!

Henny Penny said...

I love the pretty, cheerful, little garden flags!!! Dinner is our BIG meal! Sure wish we could leave it off. I would probably lose a few pounds. Yes, I am always hungry for dinner. Always! :)

happyone said...

Your posts are great. You fit so much stuff in just one post.
You did a great job on the garden flags. They look very cheerful.
Yes, I still get quite hungry come suppertime. : )

Julie said...

Hello Pom Pom ... just catching up on some blog posts as have been away seeing to Mum. Your posts are always cheering to me my friend. I love your garden flags & am tempted to make some when the nicer weather comes but I think I would need rather a large amount to go in my garden !!! I do have plenty of scraps though. I wish I could share a cuppa tea with you Xxx

Cat Lover said...

Oh my goodness Pom Pom, what a wonderful post! So many great things.
Love the photo of Timothy and your playdoh making session.
Your garden flags look great on your fence. SIGH, I wish I was crafty!
I don't tend to be very hungry at suppertime either but with a hubby who has worked at a a demanding physical job all day I do make hearty suppers. I can blame him for the extra ten pounds! ; )
Have a good weekend!
Robin

Attic Clutter said...

HiPom..love the cute flags :)
cute cute post too..
thanks on my flower painting..
big hugs,patty

NanaDiana said...

What a fun post to read! I love your banner--it makes me smile. Love the playdough 'things'. I only like fresh peas out of the shell but once cooked I don't like them. lol I saw so much here I forgot what all I was going to comment on...it's late and I am tired....lol....Hope you have a great night and weekend. xo Diana

Debbie Harris said...

What a fantastic idea having those garden flags, very cute.
Years ago I made play dough for my daughters, loved the smell of it. :-)
Your peas are darling and how sweet in remembrance of your dad.
I could pass up the dinner meal these days, just too heavy as I get older. With looking after mom I have been cooking more that I was with just my husband and I, mom needs to eat good.
I sure enjoyed my visit here tonight, I've missed your happy place. :-)

Marcie said...

The garden flags set my heart fluttering with their sweetness! Also, Hetty's Sunday Cuffs are so pretty and I LOVE the color purple yarn in the image you shared.

I felt very called to be a teacher, but have done most of my teaching outside the (public school) box. I am enjoying teaching adults about gardening these days and find that a joy as well. I still get that "back to school" itch at this time of year. I would love to go "school shopping" for new clothes, a pretty zipper pencil case, and a big, brand new, box of crayons.

I loved your long, chatty post. Keep them coming, please! :D

Jeanie said...

The garden flags are totally fabulous and I wish I'd thought of it first (or that there was more time to make some for this year.) Well, maybe I'll start over the winter and NEXT year be right at the top of the class. Love those cuffs, too -- I might have just enough yarn in my stash to do those and it is timely, given the season.

I eat weird when no one else is involved. I'll eat late in the morning, then early at dinner or a snack or two... I don't know that this is a good thing but I do get more done!

Followers