Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Boxy Long Dress

 Here's the Dottie Angel dress!  As you can see if you place the tucks and ties right under the bustline, it could look a little less boxy.  Boxy works for me because I'm chubby in the torso. Also, it isn't meant to be so long, but I'm short.  So, you can mess about with the pattern because it is very basic, very straight forward.  Bill said it looks like an Indian dress (salwar kameez) for sure.  I love Indian clothes, so it works!  I have a scarf on that covers the scoop neckline (sorry!) and I'm also wearing a long sleeved linen blouse because it's so cold, but I will wear the dress to the pool this summer, covering up my swimsuit (a necessity).  
 We had such a nice time over the weekend.  We enjoyed lots of cuddles on the sofa and happy family meals (burritos and spaghetti).  We also had our fair share of donuts, cookies, ice cream, candy, soda, and the like.  Miss Bug woke me up at 3am on Sunday morning with a stomach ache and proceeded to empty said stomach within an hour.  They went home early Sunday morning and then I had a touch of intestinal distress (along with a bad nose cold) so I have been resting the last two days. We told stories at night (they are SUCH attentive listeners when I tell them the memories from my childhood.  They think the stories are funny!)  I like sitting on the sofa with them while they watch movies.  I like serving them huge bowls of popcorn and getting them drinks.  I'm glad I like waiting on them. I really do like it. 
 Finally, I wondered if the lovely tulips were causing my nose cold so as they were losing their petals, I took them out to the trash.  Doesn't Waterlogue make photos look cool?
 Here's our Brad.  April snapped this photo at a coffee shop.  It's SO Brad!  He is quite the reader, coffee drinker, and tea expert!  
I have hemmed a pair of jeans (thanks to Bernie the Bernette) and I really do love the way she purrs and hums without sounding so clunky like my poor old Singer.
I'm still playing around with my Rule of Life and feeling quite good about my journey of reading and writing as I strive to complete it.  I'll share.  I will.
Take care, good readers.  I hope a deep sense of contentment is accessible to you today.
Oh!  I found a great way to hem on Pinterest.  Look closely and you can see how you shorten, still retaining the original hem.  Do you like my bunny slippers? I decided to wear them today because I don't intend to roar around the house stirring up dust and they aren't good for traction!  Ha ha ha!  Bye-bye!

29 comments:

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I like your dress! I haven't worn a dress in so long I can't remember the last time. I have taken to just jeans and slacks because I can't wear heels anymore because of achy joints but I would love a dress like that. I might make some for the summer for home. I am chubby in the middle too but your dress looks so cute I might have to give it a go. And I like your bunny slippers too. It looks like you had a wonderful time with the children -- I just love having mine around. In fact, I might have to plan another sleep over really soon!

Linda said...

Oh my, you are so Industrious. I sewed a lot for many years but left my machine in Texas with my daughter when we moved to Oregon 12 years ago. Haven't sewed a stitch since. Our only grandchild turned 13 so we no longer have the sound of little feet at our house. Looks like a lot of fun things happen at your house.

Bradley W. Maston said...

I love the ice cream eaters! It seems funny to see people eating ice cream now that it is so c-c-c-cold out! I love you! b

Jennifer Hays said...

Your dress is so cute. I've seen a few of her dresses around on blogs and I keep wondering if it's a good style for me. I carry all my weight in my torso and I try to avoid boxy shapes, but I think that looks very nice on you. That ice cream looks good, they were having a lot of fun. Hope you're having a good week so far. :)

Julia said...

Thanks for modeling your new dress Karen, it looks very comfy. I only wear dresses for occasion and sun dress in the summer. My poor skinny legs get so cold. Sorry you got a touch of stomach flu and cold. It's that time of year when people get sick. Gosh... what a cute bouquet of girls licking ice cream.

Amazing what Waterlogue can do. At first I really thought that you had painted those picture in water color. I said "WOW" what talent....

I'm looking at that tiny picture by the window. I can't tell from the distance but it looks just like some that my daughter bought for me in Scotland. They are miniature embroidered landscape original art by Linda Kerr in Glasgow Scotland. They are so beautiful.

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog. My foot is all healed and I'm still coughing a bit but feeling well.
Warm hugs on a cold blustery day.
Hugs,
JB

Kezzie said...

Your Dottie dress is marvellous!!! Clever you!! I love what a nurturing Granny you are, you're very kind to your kiddies and I'm glad it gives you such pleasure! Hope all your intestine stress is sorted after the rest.x

Henny Penny said...

Okay, I love your Dottie Angel dress, and I like the fabrics you used. You look pretty in it. I love dresses, especially the loose, easy to wear kind. It will be cute over my wide legged pantaloons. I have ordered the pattern and can't wait to make one. Hope you don't mind. Thank you for sharing. Now if only I had a new machine like yours! :) I've been sewing on a $99.00 JC Penney sewing machine for years.

ann said...

The box dress must be a good friend as it does hide the curves. Very nice. I love Waterlogue. It allows those of us have zippo artistic talent to become an artist. Tulips are perfect, but Brad is the best. Warming trend coming.

Terra said...

Your dress is pretty, I like the colors and pattern.

Julie said...

Beautiful Dottie Dress there Pom Pom. Your grandies look so happy & content ... I look forward to the day my wee grandson can have sleepovers at Grannys house. I have serious bunny slipper envy :-) Hope your cold clears up real soon & you feel better x x

Anonymous said...

You are so cute in your new creation!

Between Me and You said...

Nothing content about me today. My new carpet has turned into a bit of a nightmare. However, I also had a wonderful 'waiting-on-hand-and-foot' weekend and I too loved it, though I was spared from the upchucking by refusing her the third 'Frozen' cupcake in a row, that we had baked earlier. Thank Goodness. You look divine in your new favourite dress. xxx

Happy@Home said...

Your dress looks so cute on you and comfy too.
You are such a good grandma and it shows in your photos. The kids always look so happy at your place. Sorry to hear about the tummy bug striking. Hope nobody else gets it.
Your slippers are darling.

Farm Girl said...

Very cute dress! I am so sorry you are under the weather. That is no fun. I hope you are back to busy as a bee soon.
It sounds like you have had a busy weekend.
I am glad for the update I wondered what you were doing.

happyone said...

Oh yes, I like those bunny slippers. So cozy and warm.

Lisa Richards said...

You make quite a fashion statement in that dress! Really! I think you will start a trend.
Were the upset tummies from a bug...or from the snacks? :) I hope you all recovered quickly.
Still waiting to hear more about your Rule of Life!
I'm experiencing bucket loads of contentment, thank you very much. :)

Granny Marigold said...

I like the style and the material of your new dress. It looks so comfy, too!
Too bad there were tummy upsets when the grands were over and then you had to get it as well. Hopefully you are over it now. Keep warm and cozy.

Debi said...

Love your dress... I love anything that can mask my "middle". Grands are so fun, aren't they? I downloaded Waterlogue about a year ago and used it quite a bit at first, but the forgot about it... thanks for the reminder. It is a fun app! Your bunny slippers looks warm and cozy!

Elderberry-Rob said...

It's a lovely dress, really adaptable - you will get a lot of wear out of it I am sure. I got your letter! thankyou - I am going to reply soon. I know what you mean about liking to wait on little ones - it's a form of indulgence I think - both theirs and yours! I hope you feel better soon, Betty x

Gillian said...

I love your dress. That boxy shape is a favourite of mine.

Aida said...

You are so blessed to be surrounded with little happy munchkins Karen. They must help to make you feel a lot better after that stomach bug.
I like the fluffy bunny sleepers, they must keep you warm. Oh I"d like to see the dress in close up shot. 😊

Hope you have a good week.

Hugs,
Aida

Elizabethd said...

Your dress looks great. Ideal for Winter with sweater underneath, but good for Summer also. With nothing underneath!

karen said...

nice dress!! I love comfortable clothing and clothing that is versatile :) Have a lovely week :)

Nancy McCarroll said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Love the dress and love that you're sewing dresses! I wish I could.

Hope you're feeling fine and dandy after your run of bugs.

xofrances

elizabeth said...

that is just lovely, the dress. I would totally wear that, with the length as long too! hope you are well today!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

That makes me want to sew! Enjoy.

Gumbo Lily said...

Fun dress! I'd like to sew a dress if I found a pattern I really liked for me. Skirts are my "go to dress." Especially elastic waist skirts!

Love those grandies. They look like they are quite happy and comfortable. So sorry to hear you got the sickies. We've had our bouts with sniffles, sinus issues, and then body aches. Ugh.

Hoping you get well soon and feel in tip-top shape!

Maggie said...

That looks like my kind of dress! Love it! Also love your bunny slippers! X

Followers