Sunday, March 13, 2011

An Altar


"Or I can set a little altar, in the world or in my heart. I can stop what I am doing long enough to see where I am, who I am there with, and how awesome the place is. I can flag one more gate to heaven - one more patch of ordinary earth with ladder marks on it - where the divine traffic is heavy when I notice it and even when I do not. I can see it for once, instead of walking right past it, maybe even setting a stone or saying a blessing before I move on to wherever I am due next."
An Altar in the World, Barbara Brown Taylor
March 13, 2011
This is my beginning of the days before Easter. This marks my call back to my Savior.
Today I shall make one altar.
Blessed are the poor in spirit.


14 comments:

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK said...

A sweet and thought-provoking post for a Pause in Lent. :)

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely post. Certainly make one think.

Elderberry-Rob said...

yes, an altar in our hearts is a good thought, a place to make offerings and sacrifices and the good thing is it would be entirely between me and God as it's in my heart. Thankyou.

Angela said...

Very thought provoking. Thanks PP!

Unknown said...

Thank you, that is thought provoking.

Leslie said...

Good thoughts, Pompom. My thoughts have been on Jesus' journey to His alter...an alter that supposed to be mine. Such depth of love our Savior has for us!

Thou hast promised to receive us,
poor and sinful though we be;
thou hast mercy to relieve us,
grace to cleanse and power to free.

magsmcc said...

We met here a year ago, dearest Pom! And there were such lovely thoughts of doors and homes and hearts then too. I am so excited about sharing another Lent with you! (ps Views of my kitchen are so very Mags- complete chaos, clutter and grime!)

Gumbo Lily said...

That's the way to live each day!

Jody

Gigi said...

Lovely thoughtful post, Pom. I'm trying to shift my focus now and in these coming days as well.
Blessings Friend,
G
Oh, and so sorry about your knee! Ruby slippers should know better than do to such a thing to girl's knee ;). Rest, and feel better soon. Are you on Spring Break as we are here? I hope so!

Floss said...

Super thought, Pom Pom - this altar will be oe of Mag's Thin Places, won't it? Thanks so much for giving us this to start of our Lenten journey. I'm going to copy it down into my Lent journal now.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

A lovely post. Pom. I love BBT, and I love that she asks us to pay attention right here, right now, to the altars before us. God is everywhere, and the path is everywhere!

xofrances

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Pom Pom!

Blessings to you,
Sharon

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Beautifully said, and what a perfect quote for this Pause for Lent. I don't know Barbara Brown Taylor; perhaps I should investigate her further.

libbyquilter said...

a beautiful post.
thank you.

:-)
libbyQ

Followers