Friday, November 13, 2009

Kids and Parents


Pom Pom in first grade
Getting all the grades in the grade book for parent teacher conferences has taken all my evening hours this week. Last night was the first night and today the continuation of MANY encounters with my students' parents. I'm feeling all lovey and heart-warmed because it is SO fun to tell parents how amazing their children are. I remember so well how it feels to mother a middle school child. To tell people that their child is insightful and kind, deep and sensitive is pure joy - PURE JOY. It brings out the mother bear in me. When I see them sitting there with their parents, acting like a child instead of a member of the puberty pack, I want to defend them, fight for them, protect them and serve them well. Parenting is hard work and often VERY hard on the heart, isn't it? You only get one mother. If she doesn't love you, tend you, observe you, feed you, sing your praises, prepare a lovely place for you . . . who will? Other people may admire you and cheer for you, but a mother who is engaged, a dad who comes to parent teacher conferences, a family who takes you mountain climbing, makes sure you eat dinner together, and protects your precious circle - those are the eternal gems that constitute wealth. I'm sort of in awe of this kind of magic, grateful for a glimpse of it.

6 comments:

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Lovely thoughts Pom Pom
Love xx

Flavia Sunshine said...

Pom Pom thank you so much for your comment on my blog, you can't imagine how much i needed such a kind and caring words. My soul needed them.
And then i come here and read your post and what can i say but what a sweet and caring person you must be. What a blessing to 'meet' you here in blogland.
Many blessings !

Flavia

Bradley W. Maston said...

yet another reason why our society so badly needs more people who are followers of Jesus. What you do is so very important. I love you!

Saleslady371 said...

I admire the passion you have for your life's work. You are a beautiful witness bringing so much joy to a needy world.

The dB family said...

Oh how I would have loved to have you as my teacher!! What am I saying? You are teaching me so much right here on your blog! Pom Pom, you have a true gift! Thank you for sharing.

Oh, and I used to have a very similar haircut around that same age even, I think!

Blessings!
Deborah

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I bet the parents love you and the kids do, too!

xofrances

Followers