Monday, June 15, 2009

Come


I've sung, "I will make you fishers of men if you follow me . . . if you follow me . . . if you follow me! I will make you fishers of men, if you follow me."
So, instead of lowering the giant nets into the water to physically catch fish, I am invited to follow JESUS and appeal to the souls of humans. Interesting. Leave the focus of your job and spend your time learning how to catch men. So, abandon the visible and embrace the invisible.
We are born naked and helpless and then we start figuring things out. We are trained for independence. We grow up, picking up cues and clues as to how to function independently. We are encouraged to support ourselves, manage obstacles, find security. We figure it out and we "clothe ourselves" with gear and then this Jesus comes along and says, "Come, follow me."
There isn't time to buckle everything up, pack up, get ready in the same manner that we've always gotten ready before. Just come. Drop the nets and go. Don't fold the nets up neatly and stow them for later because the possibility of coming back exists. Surrender. If I was a tiny person, flushed down a swirling toilet, I could not hold onto the sides. I would have to surrender to the whirling and whooshing and simply be taken. Simon and Andrew saw a better opportunity. "At once they left their nets and followed him." (Mark 1:18)


What am I not seeing when I dwell on the visible? As I'm all tangled up in the net, do I have blinders on my eyes? Are my ears tuned and ready to hear the "come" or am I off on bunny trails, lost and without heavenly focus? If Jesus sent me an email and said, "I shall meet you at the park at 6:00 am on Friday and we'll go," would I be sad to leave this earth more than I'd rejoice at going HOME?







As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. Mark 1:16-18

5 comments:

Samwise said...

Very cool clownie. Very cool. I think you would jump at the chance to GO! You were made for heaven yet there must still be some things He has for you here :) And I for one am glad for every day He keeps you here:)

Samwise said...

Very cool clownie. Very Cool. You were made for Heaven and you would jump at the chance to go and be with your Lord! Yet, I am glad for every day He keeps you here. Must be some things He still has for His clown to smile on:)

Gigi said...

Your thoughtful posts are like a daily devotional for me (something I'm very undisciplined about). Thank you so much for contributing such positive & loving thoughts to our world; we need them!
Blessings to you,
GA
P. S. And thank you so much for the very kind comments on my blog!

SuKnitWitty said...

Your writing, pictures, music and all....very inspiring and uplifting. I'll need a PomPom Fix everyday, so...I've added you to my Blog Friends. Thanks for Emily Carr tip. She was amazing...I'll study on her more..Wonder if Georgia knew her? Come visit me again.

Bradley W. Maston said...

I was just reading to day, "that which is seen is passing away..." So true. I'm ready to go! Come today, Lord Jesus!

Followers